Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

can you convert an electric start to a recoil?

got a 32" encore with a 12hp electric start briggs. well, i go to start it today and nothing. check the battery and its fully charged so i'm assuming a loose wire or bad starter. to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start. my question, can this be done or do i need to just chuck the motor and buy a recoil? thanks for replies.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't know for sure...Best thing to do is call the Dealer or a mower shop, they should be able to tell you
Old 07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
....to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start... .
If you insist, but it should not be a great big hairy deal to diagnose your start circuit. There is a lot of knowledge and assistance available at this forum.
No one is going to try and talk you out of pulling a rope, (or pushing a chain up a hill for that matter), but help is here for the asking.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
got a 32" encore with a 12hp electric start briggs. well, i go to start it today and nothing. check the battery and its fully charged so i'm assuming a loose wire or bad starter. to tell you the truth i'm sick of it and i'd like to convert it to a recoil start. my question, can this be done or do i need to just chuck the motor and buy a recoil? thanks for replies.
There are a few simple tests you can do. First you can hook red clamp from jumper cable to positive post on battery and touch the other red clamp to the wire lug on the side of starter. If starter engages you know it's good. Next, if you have a test meter then check for voltage on battery side of solenoid . You should have 12 plus volts.Now see if you have 1 or 2 small wires on the solenoid. One wire comes from key switch. Put red test lead on it and the black lead on known ground. Turn key to start and see if you get 12 plus volts. If so you have a bad solenoid .If not you could have a bad switch or a bad safety relay in system and would need to look at wiring diagram.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXDISS
There are a few simple tests you can do. First you can hook red clamp from jumper cable to positive post on battery and touch the other red clamp to the wire lug on the side of starter. If starter engages you know it's good. Next, if you have a test meter then check for voltage on battery side of solenoid . You should have 12 plus volts.Now see if you have 1 or 2 small wires on the solenoid. One wire comes from key switch. Put red test lead on it and the black lead on known ground. Turn key to start and see if you get 12 plus volts. If so you have a bad solenoid .If not you could have a bad switch or a bad safety relay in system and would need to look at wiring diagram.
thats the info i was needing. i'm still a repair "rookie" when it comes to these machines. i love to fix them but i'm still green thanks for the info.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Also if you click on the Encore icon above you can get wiring diagram from Encore website just by following prompts and enterring model #'s.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
thats the info i was needing. i'm still a repair "rookie" when it comes to these machines. i love to fix them but i'm still green thanks for the info.
Yeah I got it bad too. Really just like the challenge you know.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'll tell ya what is expensive Randy...going from a recoil to an electric start...been there/done that.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sorry to sound like a d.a. but i can't find the solenoid anywhere.. could it be inside the engine? what does it look like? maybe i'm just missing it but i was thinking it looked kinda roundish like a horn. am i wrong?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
sorry to sound like a d.a. but i can't find the solenoid anywhere.. could it be inside the engine? what does it look like? maybe i'm just missing it but i was thinking it looked kinda roundish like a horn. am i wrong?
Find the starter .Then follow the wire from starter back to solenoid. Did you try that Encore site I mentionned ?