Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

what ztr has the best cut quality??

Looking to buy a new ztr. I am thinking scag or toro?? I have toro/ lesco mowrs now. What do you like or have heard about commercial ztrs
Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Best way to tell is to demo each one for 1 day on your route / Scag & Toro are both good , I have a Toro ( 27h.p. / 52" ) changed the pto clutch today...$300 has 550 hours on it ...not too impressed with that! also have an Exmark with 2000 hours ( 18 h.p. / 44" ) ... in those 2000 hours, I've changed the belt 2 times & deck pulley's 3 times.. ( open pulleys, got rained on) has the original spark plugs & starts with a touch of the switch. only problem with exmark in my opinion is that you can't grease the spindles. hope this helps!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on this subject. You will find about a weeks worth of reading on this question.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag ztrs and have been please with the cut and durability. We replaced a clutch on one at 600hrs (weak clutch from factory) and a few belts. The main thing with any mower is to do preventive maintenance and most will last a long time. We also have a great Scag dealer that care of us if we have a problem. We have Toro 21's and a Toro 37" midsize. Toro also makes good equipment, just find a good local dealer whatever you buy.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

the chicken or the egg?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had great service out of my scag, i have 25 accounts a week and 290 hrs. and no problems yet. its like they say its all in how you maintain your equipment!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

finally a new topic on LS!..................hahahahhahahaha, do a search, youll find millions of posts about this! welcome to LS though!!! its great here

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 07-09-2006, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As many years as I've been reading the post on Lawsite and other sites the Exmark Ultra Cut deck has gotten better reviews overall than any other deck, hands down. They Changed the deck this year but you can still find some 05 models in the showroom if you check around. Scag's new deck seems to be a good one, Hustler has had some problems with Northern grass, Exmarks new deck (Triton) has had problems with Northern grasses. All I can say is try before you buy in the worst possible conditions, wet, lush, tall grass and see how they preform in your area. Right now my money would be on an Ultra Cut Exmark or the new Scag deck. Maybe Hustler with the fix added. No one is going to agree on this subject.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Everybody will tell you to try before you buy. Well that doesnt fly here. Nobody will let you try a mower period. They will let you drive it around but you can not enguage the blades.

Now my suggestion would be to check out Cub commercial Tanks, Gravely, Hustler, Bob-cats and toro's. Go look them over very good. Check out things like ease of maintenance, over all design and make sure the dealer will be there to support you in a hurry if you have a problem. Then and only then should you make your decision.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlandscape.mn
Looking to buy a new ztr. I am thinking scag or toro?? I have toro/ lesco mowrs now. What do you like or have heard about commercial ztrs
Gravely 100 & 200 series or Lesco Z two.