Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2006, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

How big?

Hello,

I have been studying your grass catching system and it looks like what I need. My main question is how large of a unit to purchase. My mower is an Exmark HP with a 48 inch deck.

My yard is just a shade over one-half acre in size. I know the answer is somewhat subjective depending on grass type and length. I was hoping to get some guidance from those that use the accelerator with comparable size lawns.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it all depends on how often you mow.......I can mow a lawn that size and only have to empty my Accellerator 2-3 times in the summer........but in the spring it could be 8-10 times..........I do not have the extender for it either....and it is the larger one for a Wright Stander...

Do you really need to bag? Mulching or discharging is better for the lawn...
I mainly use my bagger for leaves....... I refuse to bag grass for customers......

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

How big?

I originally had a mulch kit on the mower but it had a rough time when the grass was damp. I removed the mulch kit and have been very happy with the performance.

The main reason to bag is to keep from messing up the landscaping with all the grass clippings. I was just trying to get a feel for the size and expected number of times the catcher would have to be emptied on a lawn this size.

I like to stay on top of the cutting and never allow it to get too tall. I would say on average I cut twice per week.

The only other concern besides the size is the weight and its affect on the deck. I have read where the larger catchers can actually tilt the deck out of level.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have never heard or seen that problem with the Accellerator...... Have you considered a OCDC to control clippings???

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

how big?

Hi,

I must confess, I donít know what an OCDC is.

The retailers around my location have told me the large unit full of spring grass will in some cases, tilt the deck. One guy recommended lowing air pressure to counter the weight.

My biggest question is size of the catcher vs. my yard size of slightly more then a half acre. It may seem picky but I am looking from a cost value standpoint. Or in other words; how many times would I dump the next to largest compared to the largest vs. the cost of each.

I maybe getting too fussy but thought with all the experience on this forum I could get some general guidelines based on similar situations.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Operator Controlled Discharge Cover

I don't know what mower you use.....but here is an example...

www.advancedchutesystem.com/index_2.htm

cost can be an issue. my catcher was $500 and the extension was another $400 I think......I just don't use it enought spend the extra $400.....

Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Sponsor

Zap,
I'd love to sell you the larger catcher, but for a single yard the regular size should be fine. You would empty the regular 3 times for every 2 times you would empty the XL. Just try to end up where you are dumping when the catcher is getting full. It only takes a few seconds to dump.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

how big?

Peter,

which one are you speaking of and does it include the extension? Any guess on how fast one fills (per size) on a yard slightly larger then a half acre?

any help would be great!

Zap427
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Sponsor

I'm talking about the regular size catcher vs. the XL. The regular size (part number GCEX) is 4.15 cu. ft and the XL is 6.2 cu. ft. As far as how fast they fill, it varies so much with conditions that I can give you only a wide range. On a half acre, say 20000 sq ft, you will probably empty the regular catcher about 8 times, assuming the grass is growing at a "normal" pace, and you are mowing at resonable intervals. I hesitate to even give an estimate for this, because your results could be different.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410