Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Back problems with Stander

Do any members here get a sore back from riding on a stander. I bought a JD 647 this spring and lately it kills my back to ride it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem. I'm seriously considering selling this unit cause I find myself avoiding using it.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bummer... It looks like a nice mower.

Are you tall and hunching over?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire Pressure

Check the tire pressure. We leave our set in the middle between min and max pressure. The tires seem to take some of the jolts. we also try not to lock our knees to allow some give. Do not seem to have issues but normally do not mow all day as we have trimming, edging and debris blowing. Longest length of time for us on stander is 30 minutes.

Wayne
Old 07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is your back sore every day? Is it the first time you've had a mower you stand on, stander, sulky etc?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen a guy with 52" stander mowing 2 acres last year for like 2 months and he got rid of Stander and went with DC. There is no comparison between standing & riding. If you are solo, you are dead by evening standing and walking all day!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know, I've always wondered about that. People comment about me on my Jungle Wheels. I keep my knees loose though. I wondered if I could do the same thing if I owned a stander. I used a non suspension seat ZTR earlier this year and it agravated my neck (old whiplash injury). Try keeping your knees loose if you can. Sometimes, I will lock one knee at a time, hard to describe.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I rode a stander type mower for about a year.
I now have a sit down ZTR with a suspension seat.
So far as my back hurting, the stander was far superior. I could react with my legs when I saw something coming and I could adjust way better. Never any problem with leg fatigue at the end of the day. With the ZTR visibility is reduced and I occasionally nail a hidden hole and straight up my spine with the jolt, then the rebound.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have used a w/b with a BullRider sulky for many years, using the sulky for part of the time, walking the rest of the time (terrain, layout, etc). Two months ago, I bought a JD 717A ZTR. I use the ZTR about half the time, and continue to use the w/b the other part. The ZTR is no picnic. I agree with several comments above, loose knees do wonders for "suspension" action. I think my body is more beat up and stiffer now than ever, especially after riding the ZTR for extended periods.

In all fairness, the ZTR is used for the more open, larger areas, and many of them are very uneven and rough. But, formerly, I was using the w/b and the sulky for these areas before -- perhaps more stress and effort on the shoulders to keep the machine under control.

After reading threads like this one elsewhere on LS, this topic is like so many others -- every situation is different. For some, riding the ZTR is big relief and works well, for others, alternative machines are less stressful and works well for them.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am prone to have back pain, but my stander exacerbates the problem. I really like how manuverable it is, but if I ride for a few lawns my back will kill me. I know everyone says there back is better by riding one, but this is not the case for me. I will take a suspension seat thanks.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-08-2006, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a w/b with a proslide. I tend to stand with my waist too close to the machine, like my body has an inverted curve, which causes some pain. I try to correct it sometimes by bending my upper body forward to correct it. Almost like realigning my lower spine and getting it back to where it belongs.