Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ever have this happen?

yet another lowballer,

well today I had a huge cleanup on one of my accounts (commercial prop). the reason why? I was cleaning up after another landscaper! Who I had to let come do some work (hards-capes+about 16+ yards of mulch) To much for me to Handel at this point. so he comes and dose a complete hack job. uses a skid steer on the lawn. leaves old dead plants every ware, leaves little piles of mulch allover the parking lot, knocks down a bunch of brush and trees seeds a new lawn and leaves mulch allover the new lawn!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my once nice account now looks like schit. iIguess it's a good thing now i'm making a killing cleaning up everything. spent some time there with a worker today. Have to go back on a Sunday to finish!!!

Anyone ever have this problem? The owner talked with the company but they won't fix the problems .

at least it's filling my pockets

just one of those days I guess...

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 07-08-2006, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Yeah, it's to the point where I'm paranoid about someone working on "my" lawns.
Where do these people come up with these hacks? And I'm talking about professional purchasing agents! It's their JOB to make good selections for their companies. Yet they come up with screwballs!

My latest gem is a factory which contracted a local asphalt paving company to do some fill & grade finish work. Topsoil to fill some truck ruts along the driveways and some fill behind some curbing they had installed. The grading was good but for seeding they used plastic mesh to hold down straw. Have you ever got that plastic crap wound in your mower spindles? I pulled the stuff out after 3 weeks and billed them for it. I KNOW the paving company will never follow up. They're paid and gone! WTF! havn't they heard of using shredded newspaper or ground peat for mulch? Plastic mesh and straw?? This ain't some ditch bank! It's the front of the offices for crying out loud.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

sounds like you utilized a start up operation around here. None of the contractors in this area that have been in business for several years would have left you in this position.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, I can honestly say this has never happened to me.

Then again, I don't hire others to do my work.
Once or twice, a customer did.
You know it costs extra to go behind someone else's foul up, right?
Yup.

Last edited by topsites; 07-08-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sadly I had no choice, they hierd the other company.

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thats y i put in my contracts.... if i have to come behind another company to cleanup their mess i will bill 1.5 times my normal rate.

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 07-09-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn
thats y i put in my contracts.... if i have to come behind another company to cleanup their mess i will bill 1.5 times my normal rate.
I agree, this is about the customer trying to save a dollar. In and of itself I don't have a problem with this, but you either pay me the 100 dollars it costs for me to do it the way you want it done, or you can hire the 50-dollar dude, that much is the customer's choice, BUT...

I can either pay the 400 dollars it costs to put GTAS tires on my car, OR I can order the STAS tires for 200 and have them put on for another 100 dollars for a total of 300. But is it the same thing? NO! Gtas tires are one step up from Stas, gtas are one step below high performance, stas are two steps below. Still, it's worth the 150 savings to me to get the slightly lower rated tire, but every customer needs to understand, you get what you pay for.

Hence, it costs at LEAST as much in the end to have hired you in the first place. And now since we got more than just one Lco involved, it ends up costing more because we got more dealers involved in making the same soup.

Meanwhile, it took a LOT of research on my part to figure out all this bs to try and save 150 on my tires - The SAME research goes into what I do in my lawn business, hence I'm already as cheap as things get, for the quality and value of their dollar.

On another important note, this is the reason I made up the math so that it costs MORE if a customer orders the mulch through someone other than me but I can come in to spread it. Yup, same reason, unless you can find mulch cheaper than $12.60 a cubic yard, don't even bother me with this trying to save money stuff, if it doesn't cost less, don't expect me to eat it.

Last edited by topsites; 07-09-2006 at 10:37 AM.