Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to buy, but how much?

Ok so my business partner and I decided that next year we are upgrading. We are currently running with a 36 inch metro and a 48 hydro walk behind scag....both with velkys......metro is good cuz of gates, and scag is a beast because of the hydro drive. Were goin to get a rider in winter, hopefully a leftover...id like a toro or an exmark...here are my questions thou. Do hydros cut nicer than belt driven mowers? Ive seen some belt driven exmark riders here, and wonder why they arent hydros? Arent hydros the best? What should i be payin for a mower in the off season? I want either a 52 or a 60...with a strong motor....i live in NJ but am willing to drive a bit if it saves me enough $$. Id go as far as say....Kentucky......Ohio...etc.....Ive heard you can get em for like 4500 leftover? Anyone have experience with this? Let me know. THANKS!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think the quality of the cut has much if anything to do with the propulsion method of the mower...

As for which is best, I believe this depends entirely on the controls. For pistol-grip / ECS machines, of course hydro is better... But on a T-bar Toro, a hydro is the dumbest thing to put in the drive mechanism.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pietro, Your looking for a Z correct? I personally like eXmark and the service I get from my dealer and the people at eXmark. If you want I can send you info for my dealer. If you would like inf just shoot me an e-mail at lazer_xp@hotmail.com

Rob
Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I did the legwork for my new Z, I found out that there are "lists" of leftovers. They are put out to dealers from distributors. The dealers get better pricing on these models because the distributors want to clear them out. In my search (Scag), I had to find where the line was when the dealer distributor changed. For instance, the distributor's area may be a 50 mile radius, but where does the line start and stop? My point with this is, all the dealers within this specified area will have the same list. By all means, call all the dealers in your search, but don't be suprised to find that you will get quoted the same price for the same specific machine. IIRC, the Scag list comes out in February? I have no idea if other manufacturers put lists out. I would think they would have to inform their dealers somehow.
I would hit the websites of the manufacturers you are choosing from. Do a dealer locator, and burn up your cell minutes. An hour or so on the phone and a 2 1/2 hour drive saved me $1000. Cash is KING. Be prepared.
Delaware has no state sales tax. Look south first!

I got lucky with mine. It just so happened that the dealer was getting ready to do inventory and he needed to dump a machine. Brand new, in the crate. If he made $200 on my sale I'd be suprised. But, he didn't take a loss by paying the tax. Call around and maybe you'll find that pearl. Be ready to pick it up asap and pay cash. This is motivation on their part to do a better deal.
Don't forget the local guy. Price is very important, but you will need to get it serviced someday. If I'm spending 10K I don't mind several hundred over the lowest price I've come across in order to keep it local. I find $1000 objectionable. So, I moved on. I burned myself with getting that specific machine serviced with the guy I like, but I don't see that as entirely my fault either. I will need to take it elsewhere if anything blows up. But, I saved a grand. You need to find that level where you're comfortable and stick to it. Loyalty is a two way street.
Good luck on the hunt!

A
Old 07-09-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z
Pietro, Your looking for a Z correct? I personally like eXmark and the service I get from my dealer and the people at eXmark. If you want I can send you info for my dealer. If you would like inf just shoot me an e-mail at lazer_xp@hotmail.com

Rob

what do you think i will have to pay?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro
what do you think i will have to pay?
I have no idea what you would be paying on a leftover machine. It's up to the dealer how much $$$ he takes off of his prices.

Rob
Old 07-09-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im just trying to see how much it is going to cost me to get one....Ive heard of people getting leftovers for under 5K.....I was just wondering if anyone here has bought a leftover ZTR and what they paid for it. I dont care that much about the name....Bobcat exmark toro or scag would be my top pics
Old 07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe consider a low hour demo machine. JMO
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do I inquire about that? Hell, id even buy used, just it would have to be in good condition. How long do Zs last? I saw one the other day for sale....a 48 inch exmark....the tires were DEAD BALD and the dude wanted 2400 for it....he said it had low hours lol.....well was he doing burnouts in it? Moron.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro
Where do I inquire about that? Hell, id even buy used, just it would have to be in good condition. How long do Zs last? I saw one the other day for sale....a 48 inch exmark....the tires were DEAD BALD and the dude wanted 2400 for it....he said it had low hours lol.....well was he doing burnouts in it? Moron.

You're not going to buy a new ZTR for $5000.
A hydro walkbehind, yes, but not a rider............