Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Have you ever installed a new lawn, explain to the customer it is their responsibility to water, give them instructions, and then they don't water? And they want you to come back for free.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My customers know they pay me for a service. That service is to aerate, fertilize, overseed, etc. Yes, I send them a letter immediately after completion explaining the basics for a newly seeded/sodded lawn but of course it's up to them to do those basics.

I expect results. They expect results. But what they pay me for is the job, not the results. That sounds a little hard, I know. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if they don't water, or a flood comes through that night, or a windstorm blows everything away, I still expect to be paid in full. Once I finish the labor, it's theirs. I want my customers to be happy so I stay in close contact but once I'm done, payment is due!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I know what you mean

I had done a repair job and the customer didnt water and now wants me to fix it. It all depends on how much the customer is worth to you and your buisness. I would work with them to see what you can work out. I am working on the repair when i can so at least i am trying to make her happy. I did tell her to water and of course she didnt. It is a tough call.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, he is my brother in law...Watered like hell everyday for a month went on vacation for two weeks. No water and wondered why the grass died...duh
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

i always give the client a fact sheet that the sod company gives away free. it explains that the grass must be kept moist for at least 7 days. i tell them if they dont do this and the grass dies, there is no warranty. i did have one regular client that i mowed for and installed one pallet in their yard one time. they bought this silly little swirling sprinkler that was terrible. i told them NOT to use it and to go buy a better sprinkler. they didnt do it and yes, the grass died but they were nice not to blame me!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're including a temporary automatic watering system for three weeks with a lot of our lawn installs. When the system is removed there is a good stand of grass and the contract states that it is their responsibility to water after this time.

We usually have more problems with customers not watering nursery stock. They figure that since there is a 1 year warranty they won't water because the plant will be replaced (only once) if it dies.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

The lawn did well in the shaded areas although most was all sun. I went back for free told the customer to do a better job of watering, that was on a Saturday, went back mid day on Monday....dry, provided watering instructions in written form.... went back mid day Wednesday, no sign of moisture. The customer said I shouldn't be checking during the day because she works and can't water. Why not get a little timer from home depot? Anyway this is the first complaint or unhappy customer I have ever had, so I guess I should't let it bother me, I never should have gone back for free.....the job was done right the first time. Installed a lawn for another customer, the woman works 16 hours a day and did a great job watering, had timers, manifolds, hoses and sprinklers.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what are you guys talking about ? are you saying that you have customers that water there new lawns? i installed 25 lawns this year and i would bet that maybe 2 of them have been watered correctly. i tell them when they sign the check and hand it to me that they have just wasted this money if they do not follow my instructions. this takes some people back because it is not thank you sir bla bla. i tell them it will do not well if they do not maintain it and i charge far more for repairs than new installs. most don't listen but i don't get call backs because i tell this up front and they know it was there neglect not mine. i think some of them get alittle sore when i tell them but i would rather have them informed ahead of time and sore, than sueing me and having to explain it to a judge why i didn't tell them first
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 08-28-2006, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi I have the same problem with a client.
We perfomed a new grass at his yard, explained to him taht he needs to water the lawn every day at least for 1/2 hr either early in the morning or late night I guess he did it for a week, after that no more.
He sent us a letter refusing to pay and of course saying that we follow all the instructions we gave him but he still has "brown spots" in his lawn and until the grass looks even and full he will not pay us.
We do not have him as a regular customer. WE have his next door neighboor as a customer that's why we decided to do the work for him, because was right next to it.
We cut the lawn 2 times for free, we re seed and fertilized and we also spray for weeds at NO COST TO HIM!!! yes! FREE!!!!!!!!
It's today's date,he hasn't paid, I am planing to send a certified letter to him explaining that the job was done the proper way and he has to pay.
Can somebody here help me write the letter. My english is not that good. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope your joking on that FREE stuff?!?
If you give them something for FREE then they now think everythings FREE and you OWE THEM something.