Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greasing spindles...

More of an aggravation but critical to the life of the spindle bearings. I just made mine easier and quicker to do.

I'm sure I'm not the first but I thought I'd share it.

Shown on a Scag, I've got the R/H and center grease fittings on the right side spindle cover and the L/H grease fitting on the L/H side, squirt and go, clean excess up later.

Cost about $25.00 in parts.

Last edited by bugspit; 11-18-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea, What type hoses are those and where did you get them ? I could use a set-up like that on my machine in my avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

THAT there is pretty sweet!

I was never happy with where the fittings were on the SCAG. Too hard to get to.

I'm also not too happy with the relief poppits on the SCAG's. They just let the grease go in one side and right out the poppit on the other side. A couple times a year I get another set of hands in there and hold the poppit closed and pump a little till I just hear it come through the seals. I get quite a few pumps in there!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reason for the "poppits" is so you don't bust the seals by over greasing.

Plastic tubing is used, the same as water tubing supplying the ice maker in a refrigerator. It looks green because that's the color of my grease (which BTW is different than the chassis lube...which BTW I have two grease guns set up, one for spindles one for chassis.)

Here's the parts, found at Lowes and O'Reillys Auto parts.

Last edited by bugspit; 11-18-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not _exactly_ the same thing, but, last weekend I was just driving along, having a brewski ( glad I did not get a MWI ( mowing while intoxicated ))and minding my own business, when all of a sudden, with my wheel in a straight line, I ran off into the ditch! I fell off and ended up _under_ the deck, and, man,,, you should see my hair! And, well... Oh, never mind.
Any way, I didn't think I'd had _THAT_ many brewskies.
Holy Moly Batman!
It turned out to be a steering tie rod with ball joints on each end that are not, repeat _not_ "serviceable", and one of them exploded! Well, if you have some of these on your machine, then, to extend the life of them, take a horse wormer syringe, sans the horse wormer, and filled with Permatex, gray, high temp, anti-seize compound ( high temp grease ) and "inject" it into the ball joint as close to the ball as you can get.
If some of you experienced mechanic guys don't think this is a good idea, then tell me where my logic is flawed, please.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspit
The reason for the "poppits" is so you don't bust the seals by over greasing.
I'm aware of that, but mine don't let ANY grease go anywhere but right out the poppit. The grease inside those spindles ABOVE and BELOW that area NEVER get "new" grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspit
It looks green because that's the color of my grease (which BTW is different than the chassis lube...which BTW I have two grease guns set up, one for spindles one for chassis.
Me too! The good thick chassis grease isn't good enough for high speed bearing use, and the high speed bearing grease doesn't "stay put" in the various fittings on a lawnmower.

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the OEM grease zerk and hard plumb it with a corresponding size pipe fitting?
Perma-green Magnum
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS
Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the OEM grease zerk and hard plumb it with a corresponding size pipe fitting?
That was my first thought too but I couldn't find the size and I didn't do a lot of searching for my parts, Lowes not too far, I would think McMaster Carr might have the fittings.
My zerks must be smaller than 1/8, I also thought by using the grease couplers it would be easier to remove since I attached them to the spindle cover.
If I hard plumbed it I would have made a bracket for the fittings rather than using the covers.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had thought also of using a pipe nipple, I cant think what they are really called, but the shop I used to work in we had them because of fittings in hard to reach places, some supply houses should have them. I had thought of adding a 2-3 '' nipple just to get the grease fitting out past the pully and then maybe installing a 90 degree fitting to make it easier and more simple.

wayne

Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one of the plastic tubes split on me today when pumping grease...guess it would be better to use copper and make a stand-off bracket for the fittings.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd try some grease gun hose!

They have threaded ends already pressed on. Just mount to something solid.
Perma-green Magnum
Solo since 1980