Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris IS 3100Z

I am demoing a ferris 3100 for the next couple of day would like so feedback from current owners. The demo unit has the 30hp Kohler but was interested in how the Kawasaki performed. The dealer does not have any of those in stock. Any feedback on maintenance, repairs etc.. would be helpful.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Know one has one of these?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, glad to hear someone is demoing one. I have a IS3000 the big difference from what I can tell is the ROPS on the 3100 and thats about it. I do have the Kawi liquid cooled engine. I have had no issues with this set up at all. The maintanence thus far has been exactly what anyone would expect just oil and filters. I also have a old bobcat/ransomees and a Scag. Out of the three this is the one I choose to use most often if I can. The Scag is a wildcat 52inch cut with the 25h.p. so its a different class of mower and not a fair apples to apples comparison. I hope you enjoy the ride thats what sold me on the Ferris. The quality of cut in some types of grass is not as clean as the Scag but for everyday mowing I see no problem at all. Funny they only had the Kohler for you. I couldnt find one that way and wanted to give it a try. I thought the 26 would be to small but I have been suprised its plenty of power and this machine is very quiet for what it is. My scag with the 25 air cooled is much louder.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hossmp thanks for the input have used it a little so far and it does not seem bad I normally use a JD F620 or F735. think i may trade the f735 in on it not sure yet though.

Steve
Old 08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone try the 32hp briggs vanguard in this machine. I was quoted a tentative price of 9600 for this unit with 61in deck which has me interested.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Demo

I have spent the last week doing demo's with Ferris models. My staff of eight all agree on the 3100z as far as cut and ride, but are divided on engines. The dealer I have talked to said they have sold basically all kawasaki and around 20% B&S. He has not sold one kohler(not dogging Kohler just stating what I have been told). Apparently I am told the 32 hp big block B&S is made by Mistubishi. The Kawasaki consumes 9 tenths of a gallon an hour where the B&S consumes just over a gal an hour. I have to say I like the 32hp B&S better simply put because of power. It out ran the Kawasaki hands down and road like a town car. I like the fact I do not have to use a choke with the B&S. If you review old threads there are guys out there with problems with the chokes. The only negative bite on the 3100z I have heard is the hour meters have tendency to malfunction within the first 75hrs(warranty) and the gas line in the tank have had issues. I was told the hour meters are about 1 in 15 that go out. As far as gas lines I do not know. I currently maintain a 110 acre health care facility with steiners... pretty funny thought... we will be getting our first z a Ferris shortly...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

The 32 hp is a better choice for the IS3100. Ferris has put the huge Hercules spindles on the deck. They do require a bit more power. I have run both the 30 Kohler and the 32 Briggs. Much more power from the Briggs. There is a fix for the hour meter, I believe it needs a diode to stop feeding back to the hour meter.