Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2006, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laugh...Go Ahead...I got a MINIMUM of 8 Years out of it!!!

My do it all Ryobi 31cc 790r split shaft trimmer/brushcutter/blower/edger/snowthrower/tiller went on the blink...I think it may be fuel related but not sure...

While edging a drive (almost finished with the trimmer at this point) using the trimmer shaft adjusted to 90*, the motor just started to hesitate outta the blue for no apparent rhyme or reason...kept running but kept cutting out so of course full power was never able to be achieved...

I checked the 8 year old spark plug ( I never changed it to the best of my memory since I got it new) and the damn thing amazingly looks brand new ...but then again I ALWAYS and without fail run it on its required 32:1 mix (same as my lawnboy) no exceptions...I know this for fact...I did adjust the carb a couple years back but don't remember the reason ...I think it was because it wouldn't stay running...But it will run now...just cuts out...then dies like being starved for fuel...

Other than any smartass remarks to get a $500 trimmer, a $500 edger etc...,got any idea on what to check 1st? I have throttle even when it is cutting out...I mean it tries to get up to speed but never gets there...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After 8 years, I would replace the plug.....

Next I would check and replace the filter, and then I would probably put a carb kit in it.

The diaphram /pump probably has worn out.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rebuild kit huh? Well that is a good possibility...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 07-13-2006, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

You might want to check the fuel lines while you're at it. They have a bad habit of going soft and sucking shut when the engine is running, starving the engine for fuel.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
....I checked the 8 year old spark plug ( I never changed it to the best of my memory since I got it new) and the damn thing amazingly looks brand new....
Even if it looks like normal burn, the plug can break down internally. I should however, think it would start to foul if lose of fire is the culprit.
Sounds more like a fuel issue. New plug and fuel lines eliminates two possibilities.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@MilkyWay
Even if it looks like normal burn, the plug can break down internally. I should however, think it would start to foul if lose of fire is the culprit.
Sounds more like a fuel issue. New plug and fuel lines eliminates two possibilities.
Pardon.
I believe ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@milkyway
...think it would start to foul if lose of fire....
.... should read "loss of fire".
Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Change the spark plug for starters. You really can not go by the looks of a spark plug that much. I have even seen brand new plugs out of the box not fire right for so odd reason. In fact I had this happen just the other day on a push mower. The mower ran just fine and came in for a service. I put in a new spark plug as part of that service. It would not start for nothing. After a few minutes of gettting no where with it I went and got the old plug out of thge trash and put it back it. Then the thing started right up. The second new spark plug worked just fine. Not sure or really care what the problem with the first new spark plug was because it work just fine in the next mower I worked on.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67
Change the spark plug for starters.... I have even seen brand new plugs out of the box not fire right for so odd reason....
I took the 8yr old plug out of my Kaw/Kubota rider as it would idle but not run at WOT.
Finally got the mower going.

Don't ask!

Then, about three weeks later engine quit again. No fire.
Replaced the "new" plug with a Bosch Platinum+4 that came out of my 300ZX, just to see if it would start. That used plug, with about a light year of miles, is still running it.
Guess I should get the correct plug for it within the next 10 yrs. or so.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Lawn
The diaphram /pump probably has worn out.
Low and behold that must have been the problem ...I bought a new diaphram/gasket kit for the carb and VOILA!!! Good to go for another 8 years!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you replace the fuel lines while you were in there? it'd be wise to save some time and aggrivation later by changing those out too. if they get old, harden and crack on you, they'll possibly cause your machine to die.