Register free!

Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

aerators

Need advice on the best aerators to buy, and also pricing. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you what not to buy from experience.

I own a couple of Bluebird 530's. These machines will wear you out in a hurry. They are evil. But they are also paid for.

If I were going to purchase a new aerator, I would get the Plugr 850 HD. Everyone who owns a Plugr raves about it. I would like to rave about an aerator. Someday.

www.plugr.com

'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe ó 'That government is best which governs not at all.' ~ Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-24-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you in the market for ? Walkbehind or tow behind? Walkbehind variety, the Ryan LA IV and V are durable never ware out simple machines, with less moving parts. But they are a bear for the employees, they cause operator fatigue big time. For 07 we are going to consider, the plugr, or other cam driven type aerator.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Pluggr 800H this year...wish I had done it sooner. It's a nice unit.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I too am looking into aerators. I'm new to aeration--believe it or not, it's just not that common in my area. It seems that EVERYONE is convinced that "Power Raking" is the way to go...

But, I'm working to change that.

Most of my lawns are larger--1 to 3 acres. What would you guys suggest for lawns this size? I suppose I can't have one unit that will do it all, but a really versatile aerator would be great.

From the research I've done, it seems that aeration in the fall, say October, is best. What about aerating a lawn that has NEVER been aerated now, in late June?
2002 Grasshopper 928D Kubota Diesel
(2) Stihl FS250
Stihl SH85 vac/blower
Stihl BR420 backpack blower
Lesco Roto/Drop spreader
Ariens 21" push with crazy wheels, 6.0 HP Kawi

Much grass to cut and debts to pay!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekid
I too am looking into aerators. I'm new to aeration--believe it or not, it's just not that common in my area. It seems that EVERYONE is convinced that "Power Raking" is the way to go...

But, I'm working to change that.

Most of my lawns are larger--1 to 3 acres. What would you guys suggest for lawns this size? I suppose I can't have one unit that will do it all, but a really versatile aerator would be great.

From the research I've done, it seems that aeration in the fall, say October, is best. What about aerating a lawn that has NEVER been aerated now, in late June?
One to three acres, you would be better served with a tow behind.Ryan, turfco have very good ones.

Skip the June aeration, wait until september.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had ryan, and like the rest of their products a P.O.S., bought the bluebird far better, imo. tried a plugr 800, wow wish i would have waited and got it! nobody rented the plugr so i could try it.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a plugr PL400 aerator for a couple of years and then this year I got a Turfco TurnAer 4 with the Chariot, production went way up getting lawns done. I have to stay small due to gates and small areas.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twwlawn
I have been using a plugr PL400 aerator for a couple of years and then this year I got a Turfco TurnAer 4 with the Chariot, production went way up getting lawns done. I have to stay small due to gates and small areas.
i saw that on their web site, does it pull ok? boog down? and can it make the turns it claims?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

teeca, it pulls great, plenty of power coming out of that Honda motor, and yes you make turns just like a mower. The first time using the TurnAer 4 was okay, but adjustments were needed and I called their tech support on making the proper adjustments, once that was done, I was good to go. It might seem like alot of $$, but it is well worth every penny.