Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dixie Chopper drive belt shredded

this thing is an 05 with only 660 hrs on it and we were cutting a 6 acre church today and the mower just wouldnt drive like the hydrolics went but then we looked underneath and belt peices were everywhere. Why could this have happened i have no idea why
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL
this thing is an 05 with only 660 hrs on it and we were cutting a 6 acre church today and the mower just wouldnt drive like the hydrolics went but then we looked underneath and belt peices were everywhere. Why could this have happened i have no idea why
With such a new machine, not likely this is the problem, but once a belt _starts_ to disintegrate, it will do so rapidly. VERY rapidly in some cases depending on where it is and what is wrong.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All it takes is a stick or something to bump the belt off the idler pulley, Once off the pulley it will still drive but slip while the edge of the pulley grinds the belt up. I just had one come in yesterday with the same problem and thats what I found.
Also after installing the new (RAW EDGE) belt make sure it is adjusted to where there is 1 1/2" clearance between the idler pulley and the frame.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL

Why could this have happened? 660 hours.....that is why.

Quick question here guys. Looking at the belt on my 44z I can see small cracks running 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the belt when I look down from above on it. Should I replace or is this normal dry rot or something? Other than the small cracks the belt looks ok, no missing chunks or anything.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883

Quick question here guys. Looking at the belt on my 44z I can see small cracks running 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the belt when I look down from above on it. Should I replace or is this normal dry rot or something? Other than the small cracks the belt looks ok, no missing chunks or anything.
I have seen belts with small weather cracks go a long time, But I have seen them break also. So keep a extra belt on your truck handy, Cuz this one could go out at any time.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
.... I can see small cracks running 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the belt when I look down from above on it. Should I replace or is this normal dry rot or something? ....
What do you think?
did you ever hear the phrase "living on borrowed time".
Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Just to be safe, go get a spare to put on your truck, like Restrorob said.

it'll go sooner or later, best to be prepared if that sooner happens to be on a clients property.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking. Better to be able to change er out on the spot than go driving around town lookin for a part.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This happened to my Dixie Chopper too. It had less than20 hours. However, it was my fault. I swiped a limb laying on the ground and it went between the deck and seat. Once caught in the belt, it bent the fan blades on the hydraulic pump. The bent blades then chewed up the belt.

Check the fan blades on the pulleys.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking. Better to be able to change er out on the spot than go driving around town lookin for a part.
forget driving around town i had to drive about 45 minutes to Rising Sun Maryland to get to the closest dealer..so i thought...then earlier today i found one about 15 minutes away. but it gets better the guy swore up and down that he gave me the right belt nope he gave me on for the deck blades not the engine trans belt i needed so i had to make 2 trips down there but its fixed now