Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 PM

Hiya...

I'm just starting out after retiring from my other business as an owner and operator of amusement rides(3rd generation). I have a mobile welding truck and am a certified welder. Business has been great. I make custom driveway gates with ornamental iron work, build trailers, hitches, etc. I wanted to get into lawncare and landscape, since the area I live in South Florida has been growing rapidly. I mentioned my plans to a few friends and got 8 accounts already....before even buying my first piece of equipment.
Joe
Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theirs someone on here that you may want to get in touch with that I think lives in south Florida as well. Username is SouthFloridaLawns I think.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome i have just re started in this industry after 8 years travelling Aussie on the show grounds( not rides, selling jewellery and novelties) can see where you got your welding skills, every showie here was always welding something, you will find landscaping a much easier life and shorter working hours to.. good luck

P.S most of my friends were 3rd generation and more, it gets in your blood the show life .
Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher
Welcome i have just re started in this industry after 8 years travelling Aussie on the show grounds( not rides, selling jewellery and novelties) can see where you got your welding skills, every showie here was always welding something, you will find landscaping a much easier life and shorter working hours to.. good luck

P.S most of my friends were 3rd generation and more, it gets in your blood the show life .
Nice to meet you...small world, isn't it?
You're right about the hours that people in the amusement business work. I had a good 6-man crew, but still had to be around 24/7. Most of my guys still work with me in the welding shop and some are going to be helpers with the lawncare. All of them have good maintenance skills too...which will be an asset with the equipment.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Terror
Nice to meet you...small world, isn't it?
You're right about the hours that people in the amusement business work. I had a good 6-man crew, but still had to be around 24/7. Most of my guys still work with me in the welding shop and some are going to be helpers with the lawncare. All of them have good maintenance skills too...which will be an asset with the equipment.
My mums doing the Cairns show this week (queensland) 4 days from 8 am to about midnight or later.......mowing is easier, mind you the 8 grand is handy but the guys with rides pull in the big money.....yes your skills will be handy good luck
Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, Thats cool, for a few years now ive been thinking abount running and owning a carnival. How much work is it really?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&CLandscaping
Hey, Thats cool, for a few years now ive been thinking abount running and owning a carnival. How much work is it really?
A lot...
Lots of travelling, high insurance premiums, long hours, deadlines to make, weekly inspections, huge expenses for upkeep on the equipment, fierce competition, etc.
Sounds familiar, huh? LOL

Medford?...I worked for 4 years with Sam Pino Amusements. He originally was based out of Medford, but now lives in North Andover. I grew up in Dracut and moved to South Florida 12 years ago.
My brother-in-law and sister own Hatem Landscaping out of Methuen.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I was just looking at there website, they seem to do some large jobs.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&CLandscaping
Ya I was just looking at there website, they seem to do some large jobs.
Yeah...I think they just got the contract for some High School up there. They're re-doing the football field. $$$