Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Uploading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L
We waited almost 2 mos. after our first distribution of 1000 flyers 5 years ago. We then began mailing 5000 postcards each quarter and saw a much better response rate. Upload your flyer and I may be able to help. You can see mine on the thread "New postcard. What do you think". All graphics copyrighted. I'm not a graphics designer, but I do have a marketing background and have been quite successful in that area.
How do I upload my flyer so you can see it?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I havent been doing this long but I might get 1 call back per 200 door hangers, I am tring a local advertising mag. starting next month for 300 hundred a month it gets mailed to 49000 homes and businesses in the area of town I chose.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patience,Patience,Pertinence that what it takes keep your day job mow on the side until you build a good client base. Down here markets tight but there's not many great LCO"s just alot. So you must separate your service from others(do a better work/run a professional operation. I jumped in to quickly 1st time I started(thought I knew it all, NOW I know you NEVER KNOW IT ALL). In this area KEEP YOUR STUFF LOCKED AS MUCH AS POS!!!! Thats how I got out last time SOME#@^&*!@ GOT EVERYTHING I HAD, EVERYTHING. So take your time learn everything you,have open mind to info thats the best advice I can give. Ques- Have you ever worked in this biz before, the experience is everything?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

it is illegal in some areas, but offer a "referral discount " to customers when they refer a new customer to you. I will give a $10 discount off monthly invoice for a referral that results in getting the job. I have one customer who always ask me to leave him some extra cards and flyers when possible. I always oblige him and get me gets me mucho work!!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Another tip is using the internet. Craigslist works wanders... that's how I started out. I haven't done much yet, but I don't want to pay before I make some money. Networking is key also, I got 4 jobs from my parents friends because I did a good job with their lawn. Don't be afraid to make friends with the people whose lawns you take care of. You do a good job, they will only want to help you.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST1014
How do I upload my flyer so you can see it?
You have to go to an image hoster and make an account (a free one) then from your account browse to you My Pictures and upload whatever pic.

Go here. http://photobucket.com/

You do have to have your flyer in your computer saved as a jpeg though.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's saved as a jpg, just resize the pic to 800*800 dpi 0r less and it will upload.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L
If it's saved as a jpg, just resize the pic to 800*800 dpi 0r less and it will upload.
Are you saying that THIS site will host the Pic?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[/QUOTE]

Nice work on the yard.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qreative
Another tip is using the internet. Craigslist works wanders... that's how I started out. I haven't done much yet, but I don't want to pay before I make some money. Networking is key also, I got 4 jobs from my parents friends because I did a good job with their lawn. Don't be afraid to make friends with the people whose lawns you take care of. You do a good job, they will only want to help you.
Ya, everything I have so far have been referrals. My primary selling point is price and full service--I borrow tiller and chainsaw from my father. I have about 200 brochures printed, I just haven't dropped them off. I tend to just give them to people who know people. Older neighborhoods are your best bet--retired, fixed-income, looking for a "yard man" to do it for half the price what the big commercial outfits offer. Most people want someone who they can get to do more than your typical mow, edge, and blow in the time-allotted of the contract.

I'm told door-to-door is most effective, especially in older neighborhoods where they want personal contact. Plus, you can keep your brochure for the next one if they're not interested. Just be careful and not get in the habit of talking to your older clients too much. They tie you up with chatter and beverage for more time than it takes to do the work.

Just talked to a lady yesterday who belongs to a social club and does volunteer work who my step mother knew in the neighborhood. She had been using a person for 7 years, but still wanted to hire me to do some small tree removal that her "yard man" refuses to do. She took extra brochures, told me she knows lots of "older ladies," and would spread the word.