Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The new potential clients are calling everyday, but so many of them live in these HUGE houses and are cheap as hell. First off, how do I compete with a huge landscaping company with one of those dumb mulch blowers? They're prices are much cheaper, but I think the job looks like ****. It washes away after a couple of rains. Our mulch jobs always look absolutely beautiful and stay that way for a year. But no one wants to pay our prices (around $40-$50 a yard). What the hell is wrong with people? we seem to be getting calls from price shoppers so far this year. It's really frustrating me how cheap people are. They tell me they're not happy with their landscaper, but they won't change unless we're the same price or cheaper. I don't get it! Anyone else having this experience? we charge $35 per hour per guy. I think that's pretty damn reasonable. We're right in the middle in our area. UGH!<p>Nicole
Old 03-29-2000, 11:31 PM
Banned

I have had that as well. This is a numbers game. The more people you get in front of, the better the chances for landing decent accounts. Your rate is very reasonable by any standards. <p>John
Old 03-30-2000, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Try showing them pictures or giving them address of of clients then show and tell them about their current landscaper( or exlandscaper)tell them the whole difference between the two ways it is being done. If you can find a close major complex,hospital,Home Improvement,Golf Club House that uses the process you use and show them how long it last.If they use it, it must be the best way to go.<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>
Old 03-30-2000, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been running into the same story, They are not happy with the last guy. But they want me to come down to their price. I tell them that I have expertise and do a quality job. I offer a 10% prepay for the season. That brings it closer to the last guys price. I'm only $5 off before the prepay offer, now I'm only $2 off per mow after. I am trying to stay in the $35 to $40 per hour range. Too many price shoppers also. So what gives here?
Old 03-30-2000, 06:16 AM

I am having the same problem too this year. Frugal people to the extreme. Seems to be worse than years past. One woman over 70 even went out and bought her a pushmower to push her rather large yard. Said she will call me when she tires of it. But she said i did a beautiful job. I don't know whats going on. Maybe because their are so many lawn companies out there. We are hitting the bottom of the barrel el cheapo on new customers. The majority of good accounts seem to be taken. I have alot of good accounts myself. Its replacing the ones you lose due to death etc is the problem. Too their are alot of people getting 5 estimates just to save 5 dollars per cut. Our newspaper tells people to shop, but I think they mean for bigger type jobs.
Old 03-30-2000, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love this story. I think a lot of it is a new genration of people. With the economy so good, everyone is going out and buying these big, fancy Half million dollar homes. The thing is, have you ever looked inside of one? I can't tell you how many times I have looked in and seen things like TV's sitting on milk crates, old ratty furniture, and then rooms with no furniture at all.<p>Face it. A lot of these people have put everything they have into these homes. The saying, 'to keep up with the jones' should be the motto of our times. These people will most likely not have the money to pay for decent lawn care for years. However, that doesn't keep them from wasting our time and making us give them quotes. If you think that on top of a 2000 per month mortage these people can affore lawn care too, then I also have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. <p>steveair
Old 03-30-2000, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

It's called living beyond their means. I live in one of the fastest growing areas in central Florida. People are buying twice the house they can afford, but they still want a &quot;lawn boy&quot;. Be patient, do not compromise on price, if your quality can back it up. The good accounts will surface eventually. Bill
Old 03-30-2000, 07:32 AM

Hello Everybody & Steveair:<p>Yep, your right the Jones's don't have the money that they should have!<p>It's nothing new the Jones's were broke back in the 80's too. Probably half the time you go up to a $250K home, they can't afford your services. All you do is give them something to gripe about over supper at the country club.<p>Yes they will be their telling complete strangers that Lawn Service people are crooks & try to rip them off just because they live in a $300K home, it goes up in price $50K when they are boofing at your fees.<p>Hey it might just be me but have you ever noticed that most the women have blonde hair? Probably are dyed or bleached? LOL, mainly in the upper 20's to 40's age range!<p>We moved into a new neighborhood 10 years ago in Columbus, Ga I thought I was doing it for the kids & I was wrong. When we first moved in their about 35 or 40 houses in the $165K to $285K range. My wife only red head & only one that worked. They would not even talk to her for the 8 years we lived there.<p>I would offer 2 prices the Economy & the First Class job. If after a few minutes they don't take it give them your card with both prices & offer good for 30 days. Then go!<p>In most cases when you give them your prices, about the first or second sentence comming out of their mouth is the indication one way or another if they are going to let you do the job.<p> Don't wate anymore of your time with them!<p>This is just my thoughts only!<p><br>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br>
Old 03-30-2000, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen it with the 30 something gotta have it all crowd. 3 or 4 kids in school or daycare, mom and dad working 50 hours a week making +150k per year with the boat, Navigator and house up Nort on da lake and they piss about 100 bucks to thatch their lawn that they don't have time to rake.
Old 03-30-2000, 08:28 AM

I just remembered a lawn I did last week. New house. Man called me on my cell. One time thing. $200,000 home. 1 acre of land. Young couple with 1 kid. Had to have it done that day(saturday) or the next day. I made a special trip that day. Told him 45$. He Whew!!! that is high! It was either do it or drive 15 min back home. I said 40$ then. He was happy with that. He should have been happy that I made a special trip just for him on short notice. Times sure have changed. You know if he went to work and his boss said he would cut his pay for that day he would be screaming bloody murder. He was willing to offend me over 5 !@#$%^&&*( dollars