Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need help with quote A.S.A.P.

I need help with a quote for an overgrown, vacant, rental property. The yard is approximately 3,000 square feet of grass with a 60-40 mixture of grass and weeds! The grass is approximately 3 feet high and some weeds reach as high as 10 feet! There is a parking lot that is approximately 4,000 square feet with very high, thick weeds growing from the many cracks in the pavement. The people want to hire me to clean the yard, parking lot, and sidewalk (which also has a massive amount of weeds growing in the cracks)-- they want the place to look presentable when I am finished. I am going to have to rent a bush-hog for $50, as well as rake and bag the excess grass and weeds, as well as haul off these bags (no dump fee). The city is going to fine the owners of this property $500 if this mess is not taken care of within 10 days, as well as fine them an additional $500 per month until it is taken care of. This job should take 5 or 6 hours.
Thanks for any information that you may provide.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6 hours (if correctly estimated) times $60 for BS work = $360
Rental $50
RoundUp in the parking lot after you've weed whacked and blown $50
Disposal fee $50

Total $510

Next time will be less because you'll stun the grass & it won't recover very quickly.....
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot! I was thinking around $500, but it is just hard to charge that much. I really appreciate your reply!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is hard about charging $500. Do the work for anything less and you'll wish you didn't touch it. You decide your price don't worry about doing work for less, I would rather not do anything if I can't get what I feel the job is worth.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a few jobs that didn't pay (from friends of my family), just to get my name out there. I don't really advertise, so it's hard to get jobs. But they came back to me, cause their friends were impressed. I mean, you might be right if you have been in the businiess for a bit. But I just got started.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

TurfPro sounds about right. $500 might seem like a lot, but when you break it down it adds up fast. Show them a breakdown and they'll get over the sticker shock. Plus paying you $500 for a clean site is better than them paying a $500 fine and still having a trashed site.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4curbappeal
Thanks alot! I was thinking around $500, but it is just hard to charge that much. I really appreciate your reply!
I'd do it for $320.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

5-6 hours is high in my estimation.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to the business and only charge $20/hr until I get more clients and increase my own productivity. Replacing the Homelite string trimmer with a Husqavarna string trimmer increased my productivity by 25-35% and reduce arm burns 100% over the old Echo I borrowed when the shaft busted on the Homelite from trying to get the string to feed.

Anyway, I did a city lot like this several summers ago when I was working for a guy in college. We used our 2 $100 Murray lawn mowers with the large wheel layout as weedeaters on the lot. We uncovered bicycles and a lot of other trash under the weeds. We did the lot in 1 day. It was approximately 20,000-30,000 sq. ft. The biggest back breaker was shoveling the sidewalks. Both mowers survived. Briggs and Statton makes one mean engine. However, the blower was stolen from the truck. I use an SUV to protect equipment and tools from theft. OK, so it was left over from my 10 year career in the office on the computer.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

String trimmer, blow, and apply weed killer on the parking lot. Buy the high concentrate version of RoundUp in the generic brand. The higher concentrate and generic label will save you a lot. Wal-Mart and Home Depot Landscaping Supply both have a cheaper and higher concentrate available.