Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Can i get legit????

Hey, so next year I will have my drivers license (if everything goes right i will have it in February) and I would like to get fully legit as I am going to leave my neighborhood and be a lawn and landscape company. So this is my problem, and some of this may be wrong so work with me. I will be 16 so i cannot sign any contracts for insurance & licenses and all that kind of stuff. My other option is to put the business in one of my parents names but if i did that wouldn't that make me and employee making me have to pay workman's comp which is $$$$$$ and also break labor laws for me being under 18 and using commercial mowers and stuff??? I was wondering if there is anybody under 18 that is legit and how they did it. If anyone can help me out that would be great on how I can get legal in my position.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Someone on here must be able to help me out
Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it matters whose name is on the paper, like in my case yes it's my name but even if it was someone else's name, I still have to do all the work so what difference does it make? None, really, not the way I see things.

As for the contract, from your perspective it is them you need to be worried about, so if a customer is signing who is under the age of 18 then I would say worry... But as far as your end, just make sure you hold up to your end of the bargain and you should have no problems as I am certain they will hold you liable if you don't regardless of age (not trying to be funny, just saying)...

So I think you're on the right track...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see much of a problem with the insurance. I mean I am sixteen and i will have my own car insurance account. I don't see a diffrence between liability and car insurance but i may be wrong.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am 16 and want ot get legit. Is it worth it at this stage of the game or shoudl we wait? LawnInOrder
1996 Mitso Fuso Stake Body
1999 Dodge 2500 w/ 7.5' Western Plow
12X6 Enclosed Trailer
12X6.5 open Trailer
16X6.5 Bobcat Trailer
20 Ton Bobcat Trailer
Bobcat 873
Bobcat 753-For Sale
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnInOrder
i am 16 and want to get legit. Is it worth it at this stage of the game or should we wait? LawnInOrder
I think that it is worth it because I have had a few people not hire me because of the risk of hiring an uninsured person to do work on there yard. Also most commercial accounts wont hire uninsured companies to do work for them. For example I live in an homeowner association and every year they have landscaping done at the entrances and other small areas, which I could easily get and do but they require that the company be insured. I think at least in my case that being legit would do good for my business.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-19-2006, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I don't think it matters whose name is on the paper, like in my case yes it's my name but even if it was someone else's name, I still have to do all the work so what difference does it make? None, really, not the way I see things.

As for the contract, from your perspective it is them you need to be worried about, so if a customer is signing who is under the age of 18 then I would say worry... But as far as your end, just make sure you hold up to your end of the bargain and you should have no problems as I am certain they will hold you liable if you don't regardless of age (not trying to be funny, just saying)...

So I think you're on the right track...
I am more talking about getting liability insurance and licences and all the legalitys of getting a business up and running. You make a good point tho about contracts and how as long as I do what ii am suppost to than they will never need to question me being under 18.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

your on the right track

but you are going to have to get an adult to help you... and no you wont have to pay workers comp.... get an adult to put company in there name. insurance and all.... then just transfer when you get older... its the only way...
6 full time
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
but you are going to have to get an adult to help you... and no you wont have to pay workers comp.... get an adult to put company in there name. insurance and all.... then just transfer when you get older... its the only way...
But if it was all put in there name than i would have to be an considered an employee am i right, and if you have an employee don't you have to get workers comp ???
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoulding
But if it was all put in there name than i would have to be an considered an employee am i right, and if you have an employee don't you have to get workers comp ???
No you don't. The Worker's Comp covers employees who get hurt, so unless you plan to sue yourself, you don't need to worry about it. I don't think most homeowners will care wether you have it or not.