Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2000, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to overseed my own yard. It is very shady and the soil is not too compacted. Some places on the top layer of the soil there is a thin layer of sand. I want to get all the weeds undercontrol which includes alot of moss. What should be the first thing i do? Spray for weeds? Aerate? I want to get started on it soon. I plan to use the aeration and overseeding method. It curantly has fescue. What type of grass would you recommend? I live in memphis, tn and the weather goes anywhere from 0 to 110 in temp and we get a pretty fair amount of rain. thanks for all the help<br>Dingo
Old 03-28-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

whats wrong guys? Is this subject intimidating to ya?<br>Dingo
Old 03-28-2000, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dr. Vargas from Michigan State Univerity: &quot;Do you know why Dolly Parton doesn't have grass growing by her feet? <br>A. Grass doesn't grow in the shade.&quot;<p>Having said that, I would pull a soil test first. Then apply the recommended additives such as lime, etc. Creeping red fescue and the like would make the best seed blend. I would not blanket apply any broadleaf herbicides - only spot spray. Fertilize using organics only - no salty fertilizers.<p>Plants derive their energy from the sun, when that's deprived, you need to be right on with everything else to get it come out right.
Old 03-28-2000, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lazer why not salty fertilizers in the shade<br>anthony
Old 03-30-2000, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys thank for the responses. i think i am just going to wait until the fall and round up everything, till it, round it up again, level it out and seed. I think i am going to use a mix of severl different turf-type tall fescue. what do you guys think about this.
Old 03-30-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why roundup a second time? Roundup works best when you spray the grass directly. It does nothing by spraying the tilled dirt. If you spray, wait a week or two for it to die, then till. The second spray would be about 99% uselesss. Round up is not a pre-emerge.
Old 03-30-2000, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks steve thats the kind of help i need. <br>the rest of you please responed with any tips. thanks<br>dingo