Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Trimming.. Or Trimming and Edging??
Just Trim what the Mower Missed 77 29.50%
Trim Once.. Flip the Trimmer over and Edge 184 70.50%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape89
I see some landscaper who after they mow they use the String Trimmer. Most of them Trim the Grass and then go back and flip the Trimmer over and edge with it. However, Some of them just do the Trimming. I fall under the Trim and Edge type.. Every maintenance job I do. Do you guys think Lawn Maintenance Should include just Trimming or Trimming and Edging??

-SH

Always edge...it gives such a clean look. Not to mention that if you keep up with the edging it never gets real bad.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Trim, mow, blow & go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMoney View Post
Same here. In fact, I've never seen any LCO around here using an edger. Mow, trim, blow & go.
Agreed. Think about it, how many of you can make a better hamburger then McDonalds? Basicly anyone. So why is McDonalds so great? They have a simple depndable system that delivers a product profitably every time. My opinion, mow a lawn like a profitable qaurter pounder and maybe I'll end up with as much business as McDOnalds.

So, I agree with- Mow, trim, blow & go. But I would change one thing. I trim first. Trim, Mow, Blow & Go. That way the mowers pick up any longer clippings.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I've always used a stick edger on my accounts. I think it looks so much cleaner and high class. There is an exception though, on the ones with the asphalt driveways I use the trimmer cause the asphalt is usually brittle and tends to come apart if the blade happens to nick it.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Mowers and Lawn Care View Post
Agreed. Think about it, how many of you can make a better hamburger then McDonalds? Basicly anyone. So why is McDonalds so great? They have a simple depndable system that delivers a product profitably every time. My opinion, mow a lawn like a profitable qaurter pounder and maybe I'll end up with as much business as McDOnalds.

So, I agree with- Mow, trim, blow & go. But I would change one thing. I trim first. Trim, Mow, Blow & Go. That way the mowers pick up any longer clippings.

Apples to oranges.

You're nowhere near as productive as a single mcdonald's restaraunt. You wouldn't be able to handle that sort of volume on the same scale.

And McD's isn't exactly what I'd call "quality" food. Not to mention that in some instances their customer service skills(read - stupid teens) are less than desirable, and I've had more orders screwed up than I care to count.

I'd rather not compare my service to that of McDonald's...

Pay a little more, get a little more.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Member

i edge concrete with my edger, then edge flower beds with my trimmer. unless im doing a school with "miles" of curbing then i usually just knock back the places that he mower misses. but on those i try to keep them sprayed to where the mower gets everything to cut down on time. residences, get the edger and the trimmer. just looks cleaner, i try to cut everyones lawn as if i was doing my own, usually get lots of kudo points for the trim work that way
Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We trim and edge every time, use a stick edger once and a while most of the time just the wacker
Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the edger just makes a cleaner cut and is faster. JMO
Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
Apples to oranges.

You're nowhere near as productive as a single mcdonald's restaraunt. You wouldn't be able to handle that sort of volume on the same scale.

And McD's isn't exactly what I'd call "quality" food. Not to mention that in some instances their customer service skills(read - stupid teens) are less than desirable, and I've had more orders screwed up than I care to count.

I'd rather not compare my service to that of McDonald's...

Pay a little more, get a little more.
LOL so it's not the hamburgers I'm talking about, it's the system. If i can create a profitable and duplicatable system then I did my job as a business owner. One that can be operated by people (stupid teens) with as little skill as possible. That's my goal.

As far as the quality, I want a decent job that people will buy. Just like McDOnalds. It isn't the best but even you admit you eat there food more "then you care to count".

If I do what I want with this business I personally wont "serve over 1 billion hamburgers" but the people working for me just might. It's all about profitable, duplicatable sytems. Isn't passive income beautiful?

And if you want to read more read "Cashflow Quadrant" you might change your idea of owning a business.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also edge the sidewalks every time i mow, keeps em' looking great and the customers more satisfied that it is included in the service!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those customers who like it, I edge about twice / year for +$10, the rest of the season I keep it up with the trimmer.