Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Trimming.. Or Trimming and Edging??
Just Trim what the Mower Missed 77 29.50%
Trim Once.. Flip the Trimmer over and Edge 184 70.50%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

trimming beds

I edge and trim every time with a line trimmer
Quick question, I'm just starting my business, how do you guys go about trimming bed edges. I Currently use an Echo wacker which gives a clean manicured look to the beds. My problem is that grass clippings get into the beds which defeats the purpose of trying to make it look good. I bag all my grass already with my honda walk behind so that doesn't help any.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

i just use the string trimmer to edge and then if they want a real edge ill do it for a charge then maintain it with my reg. price
Old 05-27-2007, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

trimming and edging

The kind of beds I'm talking about already have been edged 2-3 inches with a bed shaper. If I put one side of the mower into the bed then it scalps the grass along the edge. I tried turning the wacker on the side and edging the beds just like sidewalks and driveways but the mess it leaves looks pretty bad.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will edge once a year,with the stick edger...then I use the trimmer Flat and upside down....It's a art to do right...or you will make a mess. practice will make you fast and gouge less.
One thing I find tricky to do Is edgeing/trimming gravel driveways.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use my walkbehind edger for the first cutting of the year or a new client. I then use my handheld stick edger every visit. It is figured into the original price. There is NO comparison to edging with a weedwacker compared to using a real edger let alone the safety issues. My customers appreciate this.
2 Redmax Trimmers
1 Redmax Edger
1 Powertrim Edger
1 Z-SPRAY Walkbehind Unit
1 Lesco push spreader
1 Applicator/Operator License for Turf & Ornamentals
Old 05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on the type of grass your cutting, if has runners like St. Augustine, them it has to be done weekly. Allot of grasses will only need it every few months. Clarify what you customer expectations are, then price accordingly.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

not sure what kind of grass, all I know is that it grows over the edge of the bed and looks ugly. I have no choice but to wack it.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My stick edger has not come off the trailer since I bought an EDGIT........trim and edge everything in one pass........with one tool. The only thing I don't really like is the added weight.......but the time savings is great......

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

??? i have to say i am suprised at the number of you that use a edger? all i use is a weed eater on all of my edging and trimming. i honestly believe that it is faster then a edger however will agree with the other post about shooting rocks up my nose lol.

i believe it depends on who is doing it if it will look good or not. if the lawn has not been edged in years it is going to look like crap the first time and maybe the second. after that i think it looks pretty good.

i use .095 string. how someone puts a gap between a side walk and the lawn that is two inches??? i would have to say he has no or very little experience in edging and should stick with a edger. this string is thinner then the metal of a edger.... there is no reason to have a larger gap with a weed eater then a edger.

in my personal opion. if you are paying someone to work. and you do 10 lawns a day (i hope more then that if they are small). each lawn needs edged and every lawn he has to take a trip back to the truck???? wow.... if you add that up for a week ti could get expensive. it seems like it would be cheaper to teach that employee how to edge correctly with a weed eater!!! not to mention a edger is just one more thing to add on your trailor and one more thing that can get broken or forgotten on a job... no to mention stolen.

if you are having problems keeping weed eater straight try holding lower on the shaft and always go in the direction the string is spinning on the top of the spindle when inverted. dont hold the handle,,, it moves and will cause the weed eater to run threw the lawn.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree. It is my business good will. Someone sees a less than great job, it gets noted and remembered.