Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere HD 75 - two problems - any input greatly appreciated

Hello all. I'm new to the forum so sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question. (and if there is, can you give it to me ) ?

I've got a John Deere HD75 walk behind that's got a broken hydro drive belt. I was planning on having this replaced at the dealer as soon as I got the machine ( I bought it used). Unfortunately with the thumbsticks locked in the neutral position, the machine still will not "roll". This is true with the "free wheeling valve handles" in the IN or OUT (freewheeling mode according to the manual) position.

I downloaded the service manual and it showed two possible fixes: a) the parking brake adjustment or b) the hydrostatic control adjustment.

With the thumbstick on the left side in the neutral position the wheel seems to be free (although it sort of "shudders" as it moves). To get the right wheel to feel equally free, it seems that I need to pull the hydro control lever almost all the way up into what would be the reverse position.

Does this sound like a simple fix? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The guy I got the mower from is willing to split any repair costs, so if I could just get it on the trailer and to the dealer I would be in business. I am just afraid of forcing anything (and damaging the hydros) without more knowledge about the situation at hand.

Any help is appreciated.

BD
Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoss123
.... Unfortunately with the thumbsticks locked in the neutral position, the machine still will not "roll". This is true with the "free wheeling valve handles" in the IN or OUT (freewheeling mode according to the manual)....
Guys
Where is the dump valve on this puppy and how does it work? Is the park brake locked, do you think?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I was leaning towards the hydro adjustment for the simple fact that before the hydro drive belt was damaged - the mower wasn't tracking straight. Or could that still indicate a brake problem?

Thanks jim,
BD
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I was leaning towards the hydro adjustment for the simple fact that before the hydro drive belt was damaged - the mower wasn't tracking straight. Or could that still indicate a brake problem?

Thanks jim,
BD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss123
The guy I got the mower from is willing to split any repair costs, so if I could just get it on the trailer ....
I am afraid that Jim here, has no actual experience with wb's or ztr's. Just a little common sense on most things mechanical and average to good understanding of _real_ simple electrical stuff. My comment about the dump valve was posed, simply to let you get it on a trailer.
When you change (open/close) the dump, then it will allow you to push machine provided park brake is off.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Is "dump valve" the common term? I've got the service manual so I was hoping to find it there.

BD
Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Is "dump valve" the common term? I've got the service manual so I was hoping to find it there.

BD
Not sure.
http://www.allmand.com/TLB6235%20Tra...s%20Manual.pdf
Got to this site, open up the pdf. Go to page 26.
There you will find a section "hydrostat dump valve operation".
It states here, that the purpose of said dump valve is to allow movement of a disabled vehicle.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Update: I've now figured out that I can get the machine to roll (although it -clicks- as it rolls, is this bad?).

To get both wheels moving, I have to have the left thumbstick in the regular neutral position, while on the right side I have to squeeze the lever all the way up to the handle (this would normally be reverse, correct?).

Does this shed any light on my problem? I guess I could just start playing with the adjustment bolts on the right side, but would rather have an idea of what I was doing first.

Again, any help is appreciated. I just gotta get the mower to the dealer so I can start on a fresh slate.

- BD
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

it will just shudder, mine does it when i free roll the wheels, you will still need help loading on trailer though.