Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting over

My front yard was nothing but weeds. I killed everything, whats not bare dirt is just brown dead weeds. I am selling my house and need to get some grass going asap. I'm in north texas with 100 degree temps and no rain in the last 60 days. I have a sprinkler system but we are under water restrictions and can only use the sprinkler system 1 day per week. What's the best kind of seed to go with or should I hire someone to come and spray hydro mulch once they lift the restrictions. I want the fastest possible lawn since my house will be on the market.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydro or sod.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Either call some local landscaping companies and get an estimate for them to Hydroseed your lawn or have it sodded. Sod is instand gratification, hydroseeding takes some time but will look as good if not better than sod and is less expensive.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass Problem

I am here in Plano, we are under the same restrictions. forget anything for now- anything you plant will have to be watered at least once a day. wait till we get some rain and sod either St. Augustine or Bermuda. Any questions call me 214-732-LAWN
Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are pretty severe watering restrictions. Once the restrictions are lifted, program your controller - if you can - to keep the sod or seed damp by using various watering times throughout each day. Apply enough water to dampen the soil, but not enough to cause runoff. After a while - depending on how well the sod or seed is getting established - you'll have to cut back on the watering cycles, but extend watering time.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys......One more thing......must the ground be bare dirt before sod or hydro spray can be used? It's mostly bare dirt but there are some spots of old dried up dead weeds. Also should I get something to scratch up the ground?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is handly no way to get grass growing when under water restrictions and temperatures at 100F. The grass would need to be watered at least 3 times a day for two weeks and if you got restrictions can't do that can you? Our restrictions say no watering essentially when sun is up and that is when you would need to water sod or bermuda seed.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump interesting topic, similar boat for customer