Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you ad sound to your website?

We have a annual christmas display section and would like to add chrismas music to it but everytime we try it doesn't work. All help appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

are you adding it to the coding? If so lemme see what it looks like.
I wouldnt add sound to a website. Maybe add a link if people want to hear it. If I went to a site that was playing music in the background it better have a stop button or Ill leave.
Maybe on a kids/teen site yes, but not on a prof site.
Just my opnion

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we where only wanting to add it to our christams display page
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use yahoo site builder and it has a insert background sound button but when I try it says that it is in a unsupported format. So how do I convert it to a supported format. All help appreciated.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have sound on one page.

If someone hits advice in my menu at top, then next, scrolls to the Harris Beach State Park link, that page has some music. It's my only page with music.

Previously, I had made a video of still images, for which I purchased a stock music license for Pachalbel's Canon in D.

I was thinking lately about trying to fit it in somewhere at a page. It's fairly mellow.

Since I dished out something like $25 for it, I'd like to use it. I always tell the kids to steer clear of my music files so they don't accidentally delete it.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Member

You can load music into a page and trigger it with code. Probably what the yahoo thingy is trying to do, did you upload like Christmas.mpg (or other sound file) then use the "insert sound" where you wanted that file to play? (got no idea how yahooligan works but probably a box pops up and asks for the name of the sound file you uploaded).
Now before you upload it must be compressed (like .mpg) and only a few seconds long or it will take too long to load (if you want it to play on page load) or it can take too long to start if you have a "click here to listen" button and people won't wait.
Sound files can be very large, so like a too-large photo, all those KB must download before the sound plays and depending on how it's triggered will produce a blank page waiting on sound or a page that starts to load bit by bit but isn't "finished" until the sound starts. That's why most web music files (if you listen close) are little 5-8 second simple music "loops" that just play the same bit of music over & over (only downloads once & relatively simple/low quality).
Streaming audio is another thing, that is what you see in Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, or Apple's QuickTime.
Third there is a service for supplied audio (if you want a link I'll post it) that streams audio from a special audio-only server. You just insert a line of code in any page for whatever sound file (it will take as many as you upload) and the sound (music-voice-anything) plays whenever the pages opens and is instant because it's being delivered from a specialized streaming audio server. The customer never knows they are seeing one server & hearing another. Works great, quality is however good you upload. Only downside is it's around $30 a month just for the sound service...so it depends on if the sound is worth it to you. (I have 2 clients who use them, that's how I know, I have no financial interest in that service).
If you just want a little "seasonal" sound; find a freebie "Christmas" sounding "loop" to download, name the file you downloaded then upload that to yahoo, then use the insert sound (I'm guessing on how yahoo works based on our DIY program) to trigger that little loop tp play on page load. Most will seem instant on DSL/Cable will add ~4-7 seconds on dial-up.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks but I figured it out it was trying to use realplayer as the device when I only have windows media player , so I just switched over and its fine now.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

That's why it's best to upload all the variations, you never know what a visitor has their computer set to.