Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

blade belt keeps falling off ugghh

Can you help me figure out why the blade belt keeps falling off my 32" ? Please!!! There is a gold long shaped bolt that I have tightened which make s the engagement tighter and it seems to tighten the belt but a couple times a day the damn thing still falls off. What am I doing wrong?

Adam
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Manufacturer / Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12
Can you help me figure out why the blade belt keeps falling off my 32" ? Please!!! There is a gold long shaped bolt that I have tightened which make s the engagement tighter and it seems to tighten the belt but a couple times a day the damn thing still falls off. What am I doing wrong?

Adam
Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. There are three things that I'd check; belt tension/linkage adjustment, belt guide, and condition of engagement arm. I am guessing that your machine is above S# 220,000...if not, we'll need to revise this.

Belt tension/linkage adjustment:
First, ensure that the linkage assist arm which goes from the bell crank at the back of the engine deck to the engagement arm is adjusted properly. When you have the belt engaged, the engagement arm should be contacting the rear stop, and when disengaged, the front stop. After that, then check your belt tension. With the belt engaged, it should take about 10 lbs of force to move the belt 1/2" between the two blade drive pulleys. Most people simply check this with a fish scale and little 6" rule.

Belt Guide:
Underneath the engine deck there is a belt guide for the deck belt on the LH side. With the deck engaged, the belt guide should be 1-1/4" from the belt.

Engagement Arm:
On the rear-inward side of the engagement arm/pulley, there should be a little finger that comes up. If this finger is no longer there, or bent, this could allow the belt to come off during disengagement.

What you're describing I would guess the engagement arm or belt guide to be the most likely.

If youíre a little confused on the settings, it's hard to describe w/out pic's, check with your operators manual as it's detailed out in there.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Lenny
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had this exact same problem on a 90's metro... Everytime the deck would bounce when the blade wasnt engaged, it would throw the belt off the pullys therefore making you shut the mower off pull the top cover fix it and then hope it dont **** up again...VERY FRUSTRATING... After a couple of belts burned up, I eventually put a couple of bolts through the deck around the belt to make sure it couldnt come off again. That seemed to solve that problem... Wish I had some pics, but I sold that mower at the end of last season. If you choose that route to fix your problem, dont put the bolts too close to the belt, otherwise youll kill ur belt again... hope that helped alittle...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a new 32in metro and i have not had a problem with it yet.
05 48'' Exmark Metro
05 32" Exmark Metro
9 HP Force Blower
All Shindaiwa Handhelds
3.5 HP Edger
Rakes-Shovels-And More