Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2000, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

How would I go about killing moss all over a lawn? It's a shaded lawn, looks like hell, needs to be aerated desperately. What's the best way to go about this? And I also have some customers that have moss here and there that they don't like. What do I do?<p>Jay
Old 03-29-2000, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mosses are just lower forms of plant life. They will not be able to compete with healthy growing grass. If you can improve the turf, the moss will disappear. If grass will not do well in this location (too wet, too shady, other??), consider another groundcover. Go to &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/publicat.htm&quot;&gt;Turf Publications&lt;/a&gt; and read AY-17. Other useful publications there too.<p>Moss is not the problem, it is just a symptom of a problem. Real problem is environment that allows moss to grow. Have taken over a poorly maintained site with moss scattered all through lawn. All moss was gone in 3 months with just proper care of turf. Have had other sites where it is too shady or wet for grass to survive, and you will have moss unless problem(s) are corrected.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p><p>
Old 03-29-2000, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JasonPC:<p>A friend of mine is a golf course superintendant. His budget was cut short on chems and he developed moss on the putting greens. After a lot of research the solution was a stong mixture of Dawn dish washing liquid and water srayed by hand on the infected sites. The result was: the moss turned yellow and died without hurting the greens. Give it a try, you haven't much to lose on the cost. If it works, please give us a post on another dish water success story. <p>OSC
Old 03-29-2000, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Now that was great,OSC! Im gonna try that on my lawn, a lot of it came up with a thatcher machine, but i dont know how permenant that fix is.
Old 03-29-2000, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

will that also work on weeds?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida