Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Leads in South and West County

Ive been getting calls for big yards (1 or more acres) in both South and West County. I've been turning them down, but wanted to know if anyone here would want the leads.

Let me know.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is everyone getting there mulch from this year?

I normally got it at Wholesale Landscape Supply but they have gone out of biz. (17.50 a yard for double ground 4 yard min) For now i am using Kirkwood materials but they are at 22 a yard.
I know STL compost has mulch but it is not that clean of stuff and just don't like to use it. Maybe i am missing something there but nothing i see there is like what i got at WLS and Kirkwood. I spread about 200 yards a year at least and that is a $1000 out of my pocket if i have to pay more for it.
Just trying to see what is out there that i am missing. I do most of my work in South, west and mid county.
Hopefully this year i can get a bobcat and just get a semi of it at a time and save alot of money.
Jim
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbeLawn View Post

I normally got it at Wholesale Landscape Supply but they have gone out of biz. (17.50 a yard for double ground 4 yard min) For now i am using Kirkwood materials but they are at 22 a yard.
I know STL compost has mulch but it is not that clean of stuff and just don't like to use it. Maybe i am missing something there but nothing i see there is like what i got at WLS and Kirkwood. I spread about 200 yards a year at least and that is a $1000 out of my pocket if i have to pay more for it.
Just trying to see what is out there that i am missing. I do most of my work in South, west and mid county.
Hopefully this year i can get a bobcat and just get a semi of it at a time and save alot of money.
Jim
What type of mulch it is you are spreading?? Have you tried Stl Compost oak bark mulch?? I think contractor price is around 18 a yard and it is pretty comparable to the others. Kirkwood gets there mulch from Hansen.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Liability Insurance

Anyone want to recommend thier insurance guy to me for liability insurance.

Any help would be appreciated.

THanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastruck04 View Post
Anyone want to recommend thier insurance guy to me for liability insurance.

Any help would be appreciated.

THanks.
I switched to Farm Bureau from Farmers and on my liablility and commercial truck insurance I'm saving $1000.00 per year. Give Dan Luigs at Farm Bureau in St. Peters a call 314-503-0964. Tell him Keith from STL Ponds sent you.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbeLawn View Post

Jim
I haven't priced any mulch here, but check Ficks supply in Chesterfield bottoms.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Ficks is around $20, but I think its the best quality out of all the mulch suppliers I've been to.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyfras View Post
I think Ficks is around $20, but I think its the best quality out of all the mulch suppliers I've been to.
Be careful who you are pricing, there are very few actual mulch manufactures in st. louis.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Be careful who you are pricing, there are very few actual mulch manufactures in st. louis.
I think ficks gets thier rough cut from Hansens than they process it at thier location. Last fall when I was working down the road from Hansens I saw a Ficks 18 wheeler pulling into Hansens.

What happened to Foster Bros??
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I think ficks gets thier rough cut from Hansens than they process it at thier location. Last fall when I was working down the road from Hansens I saw a Ficks 18 wheeler pulling into Hansens.

What happened to Foster Bros??
Foster Brothers are still around we had a load earlier this year from them, good stuff comparable to Kurtz hardwood mulch. Ill have to check on Fick, I know they use to get some stuff from Compost, but I don't remember what they got. I heard a rumor today that old Hansens had a little fire the other day, and lost quite a bit of mulch.