Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where to get some Ice-Melt or Rock Salt?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone View Post
Does anyone know where to get some Ice-Melt or Rock Salt?
Good luck finding some, the entire st louis area is out of salt, including bulk salt. Gunther said they wont have any more salt till at least april. St. Louis wasn't prepared for a winter like this.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to the business in general. I'll be starting a small solo operation this spring under the name Greenscapes Lawncare. I'm located in St. Peters and will be focusing my efforts in St. Charles County, but I'm sure I will be doing more traveling than expected the first year or two. I have quite a few contacts in the North County area so you may see me out there. I'll be focusing on mowing, but will also provide services including leaf and snow removal, small tree pruning and removal, gutter cleaning and power washing. I currently work for a tree service in North County and the work is beginning to prove too labor intensive for my 30 year old bones (I know I'm too young to feel that way).

I've been reading old posts for the last month or so and I've learned an enormous amount. I want to thank all you seasoned pros for pouring forth your vast knowledge of the industry, all the while expecting nothing in return.

I'm completely legal and legit (still shopping for insurance), and I have made it a goal of mine to operate in the most professional and ethical manner I can in order to promote a positive image of the industry and also to not be a thorn in the side of existing lawncare business owners. Which brings me to the purpose of this post:

I need to start thinking about prices and would like to get some feedback from you guys in the St. Louis area. Obviously I will be trying to take on as much business as I can the first year, but I do not intend on cutting your throats to get it. I'm trying to settle on competitive prices that are fair to both customers and existing lawncare owners. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. If you could let me know what you guys charge per sq. foot, by lot size, etc...however you do your pricing, that info would be great. I want to put food on my family's table without stealing it off yours. I'm just trying to get a general feel for the market in our area. I know there are a million variables to consider, but just broad parameters will work for me. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjd View Post
I need to start thinking about prices and would like to get some feedback from you guys in the St. Louis area. Obviously I will be trying to take on as much business as I can the first year, but I do not intend on cutting your throats to get it. I'm trying to settle on competitive prices that are fair to both customers and existing lawncare owners. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. If you could let me know what you guys charge per sq. foot, by lot size, etc...however you do your pricing, that info would be great. I want to put food on my family's table without stealing it off yours. I'm just trying to get a general feel for the market in our area. I know there are a million variables to consider, but just broad parameters will work for me. Thanks again for all your help!
Welcome Eric! I am in St. Peters as well...I recommend for the lots out here having a minimum price for mowing...mine is $33...I will not cut anything for less. Most of my lawn fall between $33-$50. If you start cutting for $25 like some of these clowns you will not make it. Remember all your expenses, business license, insurance, taxes, mowers, trimmers, blowers, oil, gas, truck, trailer, maintenance, repairs, payroll, advertising, etc etc...Charge a minimum of $75 for aeration up to 5kft2, and go up from there, same for seeding, the key is do not let the customers negotiate...you may feel the urge to in your first year...but if you do it will set the tone for you being a flea market type business and not respectable. If they don't like your price, they are not the customer you want...you need to feed your family not save the customer money. This site will help you alot keep reading it. Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have been watching the snow fall all morning and will go out and shovel it all afternoon and evening. Old man winter sure is stubborn this year.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Ericjd,

Good luck with your new business, I know that you are looking for insurance and since I am in that business I should give you a bit of advise while looking around. Its always a good idea to make sure that you know exactly what your purchasing so ask a lot of questions, for a start up I would usually start off with Business auto insurance (for your vehicles and Trailers), Inland Marine (your equipment), General liability (Covers your business for any damages that your are held liable), and possibly Workers Comp (Workers Injury). Hope that helps a bit; if you would like to speak in greater detail feel free to give me a call. 636-534-7211, good luck
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Snow is just starting in Chesterfield.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In St. Peters we have maybe 1/32" not worth even mentioning...I don't see why all the schools are off...this is nothing...supposed to be done in a couple hours...I will be shocked if we even get a 1/2".
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

It looked like the majority of the snow was southeast.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Fellas;

I am preparing to take the Commercial Applicators License Test for MO- the Core and Category 3 - Ornamentals And Turf. Any hints or help on what to concentrate on? I have the manuals but want to make sure I pass the first time. I am not the best reader either. I sometimes wonder how I graduated from college. Any help/advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.