Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's View Post
so no one knows any dealers who appreciate repeat customers
Hey Dunn! I have been watching this thread since you brought up the topic of dealers/repair shops. I have done all my purchases with Scott's, Affton, and Lawn Care Equipment in Brentwood.

Scott's is great and stands behind the equipment they sell, but they like to sell Ferris, and I bought a Ferris WB, Great service from Scott's but I hate the Ferris WB, ( but have heard good things about the Ferris Z.)

Lawn care Equipment Co. in Brentwood sucks for repair service.

Affton lawn equipment provides good timely repair service.

I have not had any experience with MIlbradt, and I hope others will let us know about their experiences.

Good repair service seems hard to find.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harvester Small Engine is great...however they stopped carrying Wright mowers so now all my warranty work gets done at Milbrandt and they do a good job too. I like Toro and Wright Mowers and Redmax 2 cycle equipment so I stick with the dealers that sell that stuff and are close...and luckily they have good service.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
Hey Dunn! I have been watching this thread since you brought up the topic of dealers/repair shops. I have done all my purchases with Scott's, Affton, and Lawn Care Equipment in Brentwood.

Scott's is great and stands behind the equipment they sell, but they like to sell Ferris, and I bought a Ferris WB, Great service from Scott's but I hate the Ferris WB, ( but have heard good things about the Ferris Z.)

I have not had any experience with MIlbradt, and I hope others will let us know about their experiences.

Wow you are the first one I have ever heard say a good thing about Affton...I wont even step back in there to buy a spark plug.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post

Yeah they all make it seem as if you are bothering them if you need a repair. Even if it is winter and you tell them no rush becuase you do not need the machine for awhile. we have gotten to the point if it is not under warranty we do all repairs. Soon we might start doing all repairs during our warranty period.

Because that is when the dealers act the worst about fixing things.

The thing we do not understand is if they only make a few hundred off the sale of the machines (as they all try and make us believe(yeah right) Then repair and service should make them most of their money so why act like they do not want to do it.

Especially since I know sparks plugs do not cost anywhere near the $13-$18 dollars they are charging us.

We have not used millbardt for much except an edger when no one else in town carried one. We are unsure of the service. but they seemed ok.

But all of them do in the begining when you are coming into purchase and not for repair. The main thing I worry about is they carry Exmark and we already found out into 2008 that Exmark does not stand their product even when it has a known defect. So now we tried exmark( no luck) tried ferris (which we liked but do not feel like driving to eureka for service) So I guess we might try out harvester this year.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go to Harvester talk to MATT he is the real cool
Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star Lawn Care View Post
Wow you are the first one I have ever heard say a good thing about Affton...I wont even step back in there to buy a spark plug.
It has been a couple of years since I have been to Affton for repair work, but they did do good by me when I used them.

I feel the same way you do about Lawn Care Equipment in Brentwood, except that I do get some supplies there because they are located in the middle of my service area. I will never buy new equipment from them or take a machine there for repair.

It may be harder than I know to offer equipment repair, but like Dunn said, they act like you are asking them for a favor to repair your machine. It seems to be so much easier to just do it yourself.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've bought new machines from Harvester, Art's, and Milbrandt; have had warrantee work done at Harvester and Art's. I wasn't impressed with the speed of the work at either; Art's kept my Stihl handheld blower for about 3 weeks during the season, and Redmax backpack blower for about 6 weeks in the dead of winter (January and February--they said it took so long because the parts had to be shipped all the way from Japan . . . ). Harvester sold me a 36" walkbehind which had the drive springs recalled for safety reasons; when one broke, they only replaced it and not it's twin, so they had to keep it longer. . . plus they left it out in the rain (this was about 8 years ago). They usually couldn't get parts for the walkbehind in under a week (although this might be Honda's problem).

I've only bought parts from Scott's on Ashby; they are the closest dealer to me, and have been helpful; they don't carry alot of my favorite manufacturers, however (I wish that they had got behind Wright). Dunn's may want to check them out for Ferris--West Overland/Olivette area may be more convenient to North County.

I like Finke Brothers on Mo Bottoms for repair service. They aren't a dealer (except for Shindiawa), and don't prioritize commercial customers, but do a good job for a fair price, and have often diagnoised a problem I couldn't figger out for a small fee, which I could then fix.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olde_blue View Post
I've bought new machines from Harvester, Art's, and Milbrandt; have had warrantee work done at Harvester and Art's. I wasn't impressed with the speed of the work at either; Art's kept my Stihl handheld blower for about 3 weeks during the season, and Redmax backpack blower for about 6 weeks in the dead of winter (January and February--they said it took so long because the parts had to be shipped all the way from Japan . . . ). Harvester sold me a 36" walkbehind which had the drive springs recalled for safety reasons; when one broke, they only replaced it and not it's twin, so they had to keep it longer. . . plus they left it out in the rain (this was about 8 years ago). They usually couldn't get parts for the walkbehind in under a week (although this might be Honda's problem).

I've only bought parts from Scott's on Ashby; they are the closest dealer to me, and have been helpful; they don't carry alot of my favorite manufacturers, however (I wish that they had got behind Wright). Dunn's may want to check them out for Ferris--West Overland/Olivette area may be more convenient to North County.

I like Finke Brothers on Mo Bottoms for repair service. They aren't a dealer (except for Shindiawa), and don't prioritize commercial customers, but do a good job for a fair price, and have often diagnoised a problem I couldn't figger out for a small fee, which I could then fix.
yeah the finke brothers it right up by the firehouse right.

I think there is another guy right by there as well. If not my uncle always tells me to go there. But I always try to stay away from places he
advises.

We no longer use Ferris because we do not want to drive out to eureka for a dealer.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts on Ashby are good people in my book. We have been going to them for 5 yrs. Know us by name and treat us right. Only buy ferris and giant vac stuff from them.
Arts on the other hand, We buy all our stihl stuff from them. Been going there for 5-6yrs, don't give 2 sh**s about you. Although Steve is a good guy.

Off topic- Anyone recommend anyone or do irrigation maintenance. I am bidding on a property that requires it. Please pm me if you can help me out. Thanks
Jim
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you guys that do fert/squirt, started your first round of fertilizer with preemergent yet? This is my first year doing it. I was planning on starting next week.