Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And get rid of the .105 line. Go to .095 and you'll be saying. "Hey! This stuffreally cuts alot crisper through this stuff!" Not only that, but itis much lighter,- not as blunt. It doesn't wear hardly any faster than the .105, either no matter what ANYone says. I've used several brands of both.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro
Echo is famous for clogged exhaust ports and mufflers. Take it off and check the port. If thats not clogged take the 3 screws out and look at the screen then throw it away. Clean everything up and put it back together and it should run like a champ again.
Exactly! Ive had to do this to everyone of mine. That spark arrestor screen will cause running problems big time when (and it will) stops up.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

okay, here is the update, i took apart the trimmer and removed the screen, i cleaned things up, and guess what.

it works the same(you were expecting me to say it worked fine weren't you?)
any more ideas?

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 08-05-2006, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care
okay, here is the update, i took apart the trimmer and removed the screen, i cleaned things up, and guess what.

any more ideas?
did you clean the exhaust port? look up into the hole and you'll see the piston. pull the rope until the piston completely blocks off the hole. take a wooden dowel and scrape the carbon away. put it back together and it will work.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

any more ideas?
You are lucky that you didn't cause the cyclinder/rings to overheat and cause you a problem. Now run some Sea Foam in the gas for a while to help clean up the cyclinder. And if you are running with the guard off better go back to smaller cord that is a load unless you are in the 3occ model. And don't forget about cleaning the ports out yearly. I have never had a cyclinder failure on a Echo. And you will need a carb kit down the line.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well......

Quote:
Echo is famous for clogged exhaust ports and mufflers
....as is all 2 cycle products........

If you are running a 200R, first off, that is more Home Owner based right off the bat.

Are you still running the Rapid Load head, or did you switch to an echomatic tap feed?

I've run up to .130 line in my personal machine and the 200R ran it fine. You can't fit more than about .095 in the tap feed.

If you pull the muffler and the exhaust port isn't blocked, check the cylinder for scoring.

If it is 2 years old, check the serial number. If it starts 05xxxxxxxx.....it could be the fuel lines deteriorated. There is an active recall on these units and if you bought it from a dealer and they filed your warranty card, you should have been notified. There was a bad batch of some fuel line floating around. Any echo dealer should be able to fix this on the spot for you. I think the fuel line assembly is part number 900518, takes all of 5 minutes to swap and they are paying us 20 minutes warranty time.

I would check the fuel lines next.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca
....as is all 2 cycle products........

If you are running a 200R, first off, that is more Home Owner based right off the bat.

Are you still running the Rapid Load head, or did you switch to an echomatic tap feed? I bought a bump head made by echo at Home depot, i don't know what type it is

I've run up to .130 line in my personal machine and the 200R ran it fine. You can't fit more than about .095 in the tap feed.

If you pull the muffler and the exhaust port isn't blocked, check the cylinder for scoring. How do i do that?

If it is 2 years old, check the serial number. If it starts 05xxxxxxxx.....it could be the fuel lines deteriorated. There is an active recall on these units and if you bought it from a dealer and they filed your warranty card, you should have been notified. There was a bad batch of some fuel line floating around. Any echo dealer should be able to fix this on the spot for you. I think the fuel line assembly is part number 900518, takes all of 5 minutes to swap and they are paying us 20 minutes warranty time. Fuel lines were replaced

I would check the fuel lines next.
so do you think that by running .105 line that i asked the smaller engine for too much power, and caused some damage? is fuel type an issue as well, i try to alway get 89 octane when i know i'm going to have to mix more trimmer fuel, but i know that there has been times when it has run on 87.

THANK YOU for the advice.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

any more ideas?
No, I am waiting to see what happens next because mine has been doing this since March....

I replaced air filter, spark plug and in-tank fuel filter (that by the way, you might do as well). I completely removed the muffler and can see the exhaust port, it was clean but I scraped it some more, the dealer said it was gtg on the port thing.

Checked compression, mine's at 120psi, you need to do this if you do not know what the comp psi is.

It works fine sometimes, runs for however long then starts with the crap again.

Finally left it with the dealer to have them replace the coil because that's under lifetime warranty.
If that doesn't do it, new carb is next.

oh yeah, I run 080 but I run loooong line and frequently tax the power issue, this thing about the line causing undue stress is bs but you need to adjust your throttle on your finger, if it won't go full rpm then reduce throttle pressure until the rpm's are as high as they will go anyway... But if you did not do this, it just pumps too much fuel through, burns ineffectively and causes exhaust clogs, again you said you cleaned the port (you could see the piston, right?) but I ain't never had any problems that I don't see other people having who supposedly don't do this, so it's bs.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
No, I am waiting to see what happens next because mine has been doing this since March....

I replaced air filter, spark plug and in-tank fuel filter (that by the way, you might do as well). I completely removed the muffler and can see the exhaust port, it was clean but I scraped it some more, the dealer said it was gtg on the port thing.

Checked compression, mine's at 120psi, you need to do this if you do not know what the comp psi is.

It works fine sometimes, runs for however long then starts with the crap again.

Finally left it with the dealer to have them replace the coil because that's under lifetime warranty.
If that doesn't do it, new carb is next.

oh yeah, I run 080 but I run loooong line and frequently tax the power issue, this thing about the line causing undue stress is bs but you need to adjust your throttle on your finger, if it won't go full rpm then reduce throttle pressure until the rpm's are as high as they will go anyway... But if you did not do this, it just pumps too much fuel through, burns ineffectively and causes exhaust clogs, again you said you cleaned the port (you could see the piston, right?) but I ain't never had any problems that I don't see other people having who supposedly don't do this, so it's bs.
Put a carb kit in before buying a new one and be sure you remove the gas jet and run a wire through it to clean. The aluminum nub that actuates the gas valve in the carb is very soft and wears. As a result you dont'get enough gas inthe unit. This is on echo.....I noticed that Shinduawa has bigger nub.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just today on my srm-210 I noticed that gas was dripping out of the area where the fuel lines are. As if the seal where the 3 lines that go into the tank was not sealed but it lookes seated to me.

Now, my trimmer will only run at mid throttle, it dies at idle or full throttle.

I replaced the air and fuel filters and spark plug today and nothing changed.

At the end of last season the shop did a de-carbon on the exhaust port and put in a new exhaust gasket. but they charged $60 for it, I'd rather not another $60 on a $200 machine.

Do I need to find an exact matched size wooden dowel to clen it out myself?

I haven't checked the exhaust port yet, where exactly is it?

My unit's serial does start with 05xxxxxx and I don't think anyone ever changed the lines.

The machine is at least 4 years old (20-25 lawns per week over that time), is it just at the end of it's life anyway?