Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4curbappeal
Seems like a lot going on, but it's different! Give it a try!!!
nah I put the original back up. It has a forum with it also. Just not all the features.

www.chadslawn.us
Chad
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I commented on the forums in another post but the site you had up can be useful...but it's a LOT of work.
That is what's called a "portal" site because the entry page or "portal" leads to so many different things.

Where you could use that is if you have lots of time on your hands then get a domain name for it like yourtown.com or if your area as a "nickname" something like 4lakes.com or whatever. Then design the entire thing as a web site for your town or area.
Post lots of current events, design the forum for people to post their garage sales and club functions or talk local politics or schools, local events & happenings or whatever (all this provided your city or area doesn't have one already, if it's a very big city you could do a more local one for your area)
Anyway you go to all this work for one reason...guess who the sponsor of this friendly community web site is? Your company of course. And you can put your ads and "sponsored by" all over it.
If you have the time & energy and nobody else is doing it (and you might have to publicize it in the local paper or "shopper" etc. to get it going) you can eventually build a site where a lot of people in your area visit. If you can pull it off then you have invaluable advertising for the small cost of the web site (not counting your time) and it makes you seem like you are very "community oriented". Always a good thing.
If it ever took off you could get a couple of other "locals" to write some articles for the portal and help keep up with events & such and moderate the forums so it wouldn't take all your time.

Other than that type use that form of web site is useless for a contractor.

Your business site needs to convey 3 main things very clearly and with as little effort or confusion as possible for the visitor:
  1. Who you are
  2. What you do... and most importantly
  3. Why you are better at it and why people should hire you instead of someone else.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan
I commented on the forums in another post but the site you had up can be useful...but it's a LOT of work.
That is what's called a "portal" site because the entry page or "portal" leads to so many different things.

Where you could use that is if you have lots of time on your hands then get a domain name for it like yourtown.com or if your area as a "nickname" something like 4lakes.com or whatever. Then design the entire thing as a web site for your town or area.
Post lots of current events, design the forum for people to post their garage sales and club functions or talk local politics or schools, local events & happenings or whatever (all this provided your city or area doesn't have one already, if it's a very big city you could do a more local one for your area)
Anyway you go to all this work for one reason...guess who the sponsor of this friendly community web site is? Your company of course. And you can put your ads and "sponsored by" all over it.
If you have the time & energy and nobody else is doing it (and you might have to publicize it in the local paper or "shopper" etc. to get it going) you can eventually build a site where a lot of people in your area visit. If you can pull it off then you have invaluable advertising for the small cost of the web site (not counting your time) and it makes you seem like you are very "community oriented". Always a good thing.
If it ever took off you could get a couple of other "locals" to write some articles for the portal and help keep up with events & such and moderate the forums so it wouldn't take all your time.

Other than that type use that form of web site is useless for a contractor.

Your business site needs to convey 3 main things very clearly and with as little effort or confusion as possible for the visitor:
  1. Who you are
  2. What you do... and most importantly
  3. Why you are better at it and why people should hire you instead of someone else.
VERY GOOD IDEA,NOW I LIKE THAT IF YOU COULD GET IT TO WORK. GREAT POST MAN!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah that is a good idea, but I dont have that much time. Maybe this winter I can give it a go.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey WebMan check it out now comments please

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your work was prevalent in a retirement community, and if the elders had computers, with no existing forums, you could be onto something - if you could get them to tinker with it regularly.

Like give aways, contests, games, etc..

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-11-2006, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsLawn
Hey WebMan check it out now comments please
You know how I feel about the forum, but you seem determined to keep it, after a while when you notice that nobody goes there but you and a couple of friends maybe you will free up the real-estate & have one less bit of clutter to distract a customer's eyes.

It's looking better, but I hope you read my post about Robot.txt and followed it. You DO NOT want search engines to see that site with the blank "under construction" pages. You will be ranked so low it will take a ton of work to get back up. It's easy to delete it when you are done. Leave out the last 4 "tags" below until then, when you are all finished add them, then remove the Robots.txt "disallow" file.

Good start:
You have a nice "doc type" tag BUT you made a couple of typos in it there that create warnings with a validator but not "errors" so just re-validate find the extra / here & there & get the spacing right until it says no warnings. It would "work" ok as is, but always strive for perfect even though it's impossible

But then you have blanks, there is no "title" tag (the title of your site and what a search engine would look for first)
after where that should be you have:
<meta name="description" content="" />
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="author" content="" />
The "author" isn't important unless you just want your name there but once you decide on keywords they should be in there and the description is what appears under the title in a search engine display. So it should look like:
<Title>Chad's Lawn Sevice</Title> (or whatever you want)
<meta name="description" content="Your catchy brief description that will make Joe Shopper click, less than 155 characters and spaces" />
<meta name="keywords" content="your keyword, another keyword, keyword " /> (you get the idea but you can't optimize keywords until you have content)
<meta name="author" content="Chad" /> (if you want)
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">
<META Name="Googlebot" Content="index,follow">
<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="30 days">

That's about all the "freebies" I'm giving on header code & tag tutorials so you other guys pay attention, it seems like I keep posting the same stuff over & over but the above is as detailed as what I am going to give away

PS: That's for www.chadslawn.us
I didn't see any differences in the portal experiment.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that it is hard to find anything about lawn care on the site
Old 08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

You have too muc info on the site. Not to say that the site is not good but it made me forget what you do. Lawn care. My suggestion would be to re-do the site with your cliets in mind. The one thing that I would suggest you keep is the calendar because you customers can check and see what your day or week is looking like if you would like to disclose to them when you will be taking care of them.