Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Which dealer would get your business?
Dealer #1 - the fair business man 35 55.56%
Dealer #2 - the dealer offering the demo 10 15.87%
Dealer #3 - the dealer offering exactly what you had in mind? 18 28.57%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ethics/Loyalty/Service/Wants POLL

OK, here's a good "what would you do?" poll...

Here's the situation...

I'm in the market for some new trimmers, and I have been lagging around about getting a really light trimmer (a Robin 2050 specifically) and I've just never gotten around to it. But now, getting a light trimmer has shifted to first on my priority list.

Now, here is my situation....

Dealer #1 knows I'm in the market for new stuff, as this is where I have purchased some parts recently. I do a fair amount of parts business with them, as in I often end up there for parts others do not have in stock. I have some of the parts I bought that are of no use to me. They will probably allow me to get a refund.

They have been a little better at coming through for me than most and I would give them a 'B' I guess. So if they refund me for this stuff, well then I sort of feel like I should buy new from them. But they do not carry Robin. Only Echo, RedMax and Stihl, and they don't carry any units lighter than say the Echo 210.

Dealer #2 also knows I am in the market. They carried Robin for a short period, and now have RedMax. Well, low and behold, RedMax has a near clone of the Robin 2050, just a little heavier (2300S). So of course he suggests the unit and I tell him I have never owned any RedMax stuff at all. Then he offers me a demo of a larger unit so I can see if the vibes are ok with me. I think this is VERY important and try my best to buy from places that will let you demo.

This along with the fact that I have tried my best to give him some of my business every time I have made a purchase since he has opened... But so far I haven't bought the first thing... well I feel bad in a way, and I'd feel worse if I demoed and did not buy.

Dealer #3 has no idea at all, and also happens to be the last one I'd like to see get my money. But he has the Robin I want in stock at the right price that I wish dealer #2 had.

So I'm stuck in a situation of Ethics/Loyalty/Service/Wants...

So the poll is, who would you buy from?

Dealer #1 who doesn't leave you stuck with new parts that are useless to you, but does not have what you wanted exactly, but has acceptable stuff?

Dealer #2 who offers you an important demo and you want to give him some business, but does not have what you wanted exactly, but has acceptable stuff?

Dealer #3 who has exactly what you want, but doesn't know you are looking to buy, and is only a C average establishment with a good parts department?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say dealer two...thats my vote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If a certain dealer had exactly what I wanted and the others did not then theres nothing to choose from.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
If a certain dealer had exactly what I wanted and the others did not then theres nothing to choose from.
I understand that, believe me...

But what I am asking is this...

Does that dealer deserve my business just because he's the one who stocks what I had in mind? (Robin 2050)

Dealer #2 has almost a clone of the same machine (RedMax TR2300S) and is offering me a good demo of the RedMax brand trimmer (2600 I think) so I can get a feel for the driveline, ect. My concessions would be a pound of weight and $50... but he's trying to earn my business.

Dealer #1 doesn't have anything exactly in that class, but he sells good brands like Echo, RedMax and Stihl. But if he does right by me is that not enough to extend our relationship? And is that not enough to make some small concessions like a few pounds? (3 or more)

These are the types of things I figure many of us contractors are faced with from time to time. To me, it seems hard to know what the right decision is sometimes... and for me this is one of those times.

I guess for me, I want what I want or had in mind, but at the same time I also want to try to give my business to those who try to do something to deserve it...

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd see if dealer 1 would let you demo a redmax also and order you the one that dealer 2 has that you like. Otherwise dealer 2 but If the robin is the only one that is exactly what you want, the only one that has the features you want and nothing else will make you as happy then go with 3.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJ
I'd see if dealer 1 would let you demo a redmax also and order you the one that dealer 2 has that you like. Otherwise dealer 2 but If the robin is the only one that is exactly what you want, the only one that has the features you want and nothing else will make you as happy then go with 3.
I strongly doubt dealer 1 would offer me a demo.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
The smallest RedMax he stocks is the BCZ2401S (11 lbs)
I'm not really against that option so much, and he could order me the other (9 lbs)

He also has the Echo 210 & 210i as well as the Stihl FS80 at 11 lbs.
But I am not experienced with any of those flex cable driven machines.
The last thing I owned with that type of drive paralized me with the vibration.
But that was YEARS ago too, so.... (may be 100% improved now?)

Anyways, one thing is for sure, if I show up returning uneeded repair parts and get a refund, I'm going to feel obligated to buy a trimmer from him, and he will realize I'm buying elsewhere if I don't.

Same deal with the other dealer. If I take his RedMax demo, I'm going to feel obligated to buy from him in a way. Even if I hate the RedMax product I'm going to feel bad about it, because I've considered him/his products for every purchase I've made since he opened and haven't ended up buying a single thing from the poor guy yet. Heck, at this point I'd sorta feel bad if I didn't pick up the demo in the morning....

Ugh!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your thinking like a nice guy instead of a business man. If you want a Robins and are sure then you buy a Robins from the dealer that handles them. IF your undecided then thats a whole differnt matter and you might as well let the dealers point you in a direction they feel is best for you and you decide if there right. Forget that feeling obligated crap! Everyone happy to have your money and the ones that don't get it know its business, there not gonna make every sale. Same as your not gonna land every job you estimate. If your customer felt obligated to you because of the time you spent giving free estimates or doing a great job and a few extras then you would never loose an account.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to dealer #3 and get what you want. Obviously there is a reason you want that certain unit and he has it, plus you mention they have a good parts dept. and are slightly better then average overall. Is there a reason you don't want to deal with them? Personally I don't care if I demo a trimmer or not, it's not an expensive piece of equipment and if I don't like it I'll sell it and move on to another model or brand.

Buck
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hard for me not to give a Bias opinion, I like dealer#3 (because I am pro-Robin), I was serious the other week when I said if you get a 2050 and dont like it I would buy it from you. If you dont try one you will never know and always have a doubt in your mind. Ok .......so much for the guilt trip, I would go with #3 (because he has what you want)followed by a close #2 for the dealer that is trying very hard to make a sale and he seems to be the kind of dealer that will go the extra steps to make a sell

wayne

Old 08-11-2006, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Get the Robin...I'm sure you will need some other things later on and can give Dealer #1 your business on that.