Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Site Progress

We have finally began our Search Engine Optimization and so far, we are on the first page or two in Yahoo for most keyword searches. Is there any tricks to getting Google and Ask.com to list you higher?

Any site suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Google is all about relevant content, yahoo is easier to manipulate. So add more relevant content containing the key phrases you want in the home page.

Don't have much time but your site is "Google unfriendly" because your meta tags are way down in the head and the head is crammed with JavaScript and Google doesn't like JavaScript in the head. Also your images have no alt text and I'd change
<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="5 Day">
To 30 days, they don't like you trying to make them come every 5 days and besides you probably don't change search terms every 5 days, They will often penalize you for resubmitting or calling a revisit quicker than 30 days. And totally eliminate:
<META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Global">
Since you do not provide a global service but just Cincinnati. Mention Cincinnati and lawn care (or your terms) more in relevant in context sentences on your home page.
You also have a
<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-language" CONTENT="en">
That's nothing bad in itself, just says the site is in English but Google would rather see a first line in the header with a W3C compliant doc type statement that would cover that better than the tag.

Other than that the huge amount of JavaScript in the header will hurt you...I guess your site requires it but I can't recall ever seeing that much JavaScript in a head. If it doesn't mess with your java; move your meta tags up top before all the JavaScript, that might help some.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, I learned more in this reply than I have in 3 weeks of studying SEO techniques. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I finished the tasks listed, but can't figure out what "ProgID" coding is asking for in "content=". I still can't break through page 30 on google or ask.com. That's better than nothing. Yahoo and A9 have been good to me though.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

You should just be able to delete that tag, it normally identifies the program used to create the page, it's only really necessary for a few programs that use their own special codes to do certain tasks (an example would be FrontPage which uses unique "extensions" to create some special effects & forms & such) even then it can almost always be deleted safely.
Normally those wouldn't be a good thing anyway so the tag isn't needed; i.e. if you are not careful some simple FrontPage things like using the FP "easy" feature to cause text to drop in or "fly in" will only work on Internet Explorer and the FrontPage identifier tells IE to look for that unique function. But it's a "Microsoft" thing, use another browser and results may be unpredictable, text may just appear static or may not appear at all, you can't be sure, so even people who use a unique program with it's own "special effects" should avoid those unless you have a way to check results in every different common browser (IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, etc.).
Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan
You should just be able to delete that tag, it normally identifies the program used to create the page, it's only really necessary for a few programs that use their own special codes to do certain tasks (an example would be FrontPage which uses unique "extensions" to create some special effects & forms & such) even then it can almost always be deleted safely.
Normally those wouldn't be a good thing anyway so the tag isn't needed; i.e. if you are not careful some simple FrontPage things like using the FP "easy" feature to cause text to drop in or "fly in" will only work on Internet Explorer and the FrontPage identifier tells IE to look for that unique function. But it's a "Microsoft" thing, use another browser and results may be unpredictable, text may just appear static or may not appear at all, you can't be sure, so even people who use a unique program with it's own "special effects" should avoid those unless you have a way to check results in every different common browser (IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, etc.).
Thanks alot. I am running out of things I know to do for google and ask rankings. I have listed with over 25 directories and linked to 5 high ranked pages. I have added strong metetags and replaced the java under the head. I'm exhausted, but I'm also on the first 2 pages of most engines. It's just those two that are giving me probs.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear you are having fun and success.

To save time writing to share, my ideas are on my site in an advice page.

Our site displays crisp and clean and is overall the highest rank site in Oregon for Tree Service and Landscape Design combined.

It's got a few code issues, but it's never hurt.

If you go to my site

http://www.mdvaden.com

See what you think of my approach.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Your site is nice and you have had it a while and have the search rankings you want so can I ask 2 serious questions?
  1. Why do you do the same "itty-bitty" site in the middle of the page thing so many people here do? (I am serious, as far as I can tell it is a phenomena on sites here. I've never seen so many, they are uncommon out "in the world" but here it is the "norm".)
  2. Did the site produce the amount of sales attributed to "web site only" or "web site mainly" (meet it's web sales goal) for your last fiscal year? (just a yes or no, not prying into your personal numbers)
    If so what % of that was strictly search engine "finds" (not off your card, brochures or whatever), your stats & phone records should tell you.
    Better yet if you happen to know the % each for Google, Yahoo, etc. although I'll be shocked (pleasantly) if you happen to know that much detail.
I am asking because of general interest (not prying into your business) since you have had the site a while now and have the search rankings everybody here seems to be shooting for (and a nice clean-looking site... no "put down" in the question above. I'm just really curious.)

PS: Most of 2006 is gone so in a month or two just change your copyright to 2004-2007
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan
Your site is nice and you have had it a while and have the search rankings you want so can I ask 2 serious questions?
  1. Why do you do the same "itty-bitty" site in the middle of the page thing so many people here do? (I am serious, as far as I can tell it is a phenomena on sites here. I've never seen so many, they are uncommon out "in the world" but here it is the "norm".)
  2. Did the site produce the amount of sales attributed to "web site only" or "web site mainly" (meet it's web sales goal) for your last fiscal year? (just a yes or no, not prying into your personal numbers)
    If so what % of that was strictly search engine "finds" (not off your card, brochures or whatever), your stats & phone records should tell you.
    Better yet if you happen to know the % each for Google, Yahoo, etc. although I'll be shocked (pleasantly) if you happen to know that much detail.
I am asking because of general interest (not prying into your business) since you have had the site a while now and have the search rankings everybody here seems to be shooting for (and a nice clean-looking site... no "put down" in the question above. I'm just really curious.)

PS: Most of 2006 is gone so in a month or two just change your copyright to 2004-2007
To be honest with you. We had a crappy page-builder site just 4 months ago. We paid a bunch of cash for this layout from one of our areas premier graphics designers. I'm happy to hear that it appears seasoned. We are tracking results through our database now. I worked REAL hard to get ranked where we are.

I'm with you on the "itty bitty" site thing. I'm not fond of it, but I haven't had the knowledge to change it yet.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I can say that we close at least 2 deals each month from our web visibility. Right now that is the best figure I know.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden
Glad to hear you are having fun and success.

To save time writing to share, my ideas are on my site in an advice page.

Our site displays crisp and clean and is overall the highest rank site in Oregon for Tree Service and Landscape Design combined.

It's got a few code issues, but it's never hurt.

If you go to my site

http://www.mdvaden.com

See what you think of my approach.
Are those the type of articles I can submit to directories and use with hyperlinks to increase my popularity? We are working on publishing our small books and I will be adding alot of "relevant content" in the next few months. I have learned SO much in how SEO works now. Thanks so much for the feedback

Last edited by Team-Green L&L; 08-13-2006 at 08:57 AM.