Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-14-2006, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Having a website is just not enough!

Guys I have been looking at many of the site out there and they are all looking good. This question is posed to all you with websites out there:

/CAN YOU TRACK THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO YOUR SITE?
/CAN YO TRACK WHAT MARKETING METHODS ARE WORKING FOR YOU?
/CAN YOU TELL WHAT WORDS THEY ARE TYPING INTO SEARCH ENGINES TO GET TO YOUR SITE e.g. Atlanta lawn care, or lawn care?

All this information is very important because it enables you to maximize the full potential of your site. There are many ways that you can keep up with this information a few of which you have to pay for others are FREE, YES FREE!

TRY GOOGLE. Google has a program they call Urchin that helps site owners get valuable info about there sites and most importantly it is FREE.

please visit www.google.com/analytics and open your account. Take some time and read on the benefits on using this software and also learn how to integrate it into your existing site(it is easy).

THERE MAY BE A WAITING TIME BEFORE YOU ACCOUNT BECOMES ACTIVE.

The other thing that I would like to encourage people is to exchange links with sites that have content similar to yours. This is important because it improves your ranking on search engines. There are enough people in this forum who have sites so this would be a good place to start.
Other ways that you can exchange links is through link exchanges programs that are also free e.g www.linkmetro.com

Lastly, you need to make sure that you note you website on all documents that you use for business eg letter heads, business cards, flyer's, trucks, uniforms if you use any, thank you notes, Christmas cards if you send them out etc. This just ensures that people know and remember that you have a website.

I hope this information is helpful to all who take the time to read it. Best time to get this work done is once business slows down for Christmas. I will be available to answer peoples questions if you have any. I too will have questions as far as the Lawn Care business is concerned. I am a novice so I need all the help.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Urchin is OK but I wouldn't suggest going through Google. Any decent web host has programs for all that included.
Some offer Urchin but personally I prefer the combination of Awstats and Webalizer. (Just MHO)
They look at things a bit differently so between the two you get maximum details and can get the most comprehensive analysis. Urchin if fine, just no reason to go through Google to get it (Google tracks enough of the world already). Any good hosting plan will include analytic software. Urchin and the 2 I mentioned are probably the top 3 easily.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani
Guys I have been looking at many of the site out there and they are all looking good. This question is posed to all you with websites out there:

/CAN YOU TRACK THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO YOUR SITE?
/CAN YO TRACK WHAT MARKETING METHODS ARE WORKING FOR YOU?
/CAN YOU TELL WHAT WORDS THEY ARE TYPING INTO SEARCH ENGINES TO GET TO YOUR SITE e.g. Atlanta lawn care, or lawn care?

All this information is very important because it enables you to maximize the full potential of your site. There are many ways that you can keep up with this information a few of which you have to pay for others are FREE, YES FREE!

TRY GOOGLE. Google has a program they call Urchin that helps site owners get valuable info about there sites and most importantly it is FREE.

please visit www.google.com/analytics and open your account. Take some time and read on the benefits on using this software and also learn how to integrate it into your existing site(it is easy).

THERE MAY BE A WAITING TIME BEFORE YOU ACCOUNT BECOMES ACTIVE.

The other thing that I would like to encourage people is to exchange links with sites that have content similar to yours. This is important because it improves your ranking on search engines. There are enough people in this forum who have sites so this would be a good place to start.
Other ways that you can exchange links is through link exchanges programs that are also free e.g www.linkmetro.com

Lastly, you need to make sure that you note you website on all documents that you use for business eg letter heads, business cards, flyer's, trucks, uniforms if you use any, thank you notes, Christmas cards if you send them out etc. This just ensures that people know and remember that you have a website.

I hope this information is helpful to all who take the time to read it. Best time to get this work done is once business slows down for Christmas. I will be available to answer peoples questions if you have any. I too will have questions as far as the Lawn Care business is concerned. I am a novice so I need all the help.
I've concluded that a lot of that stuff is not too important. It's nice, not applicable to most people - at least in large cities.

The full explanation is on my website's Advice page 2 article.

It's useful for a handful of us that rank well already, and a few others.

The reason is that the first results page can contain only a handful of sites. If 100 landscape guys in a city, all optimized their pages, only 5 to 6 of them will reach page one, because of local listings and the yellow pages, etc..

So that leaves a nicely designed and useful web page as the number one priority. All else is so far down the totem pole, that all else can't be compared to a good design and good content.

Then, if somebody happens to jump up a notch or two, fine.

The more websites that there are, the more rediculous it will be for people to compete for the first page. It will almost be like gambling. I happened to get to the top while there were far fewer sites, so I'm just maintaining the lead, and I think I can keep it. But if I were to start a website today for the first time, I'd focus on my original goal. That was to have a clean site that provided information - not one that ranked high.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you missed the point completely.
Stats has nothing to do with page ranks or search engines or whatever. It has to do with knowing which web pages are the most popular on your site, what works and what doesn't, who stays on what page for how long (i.e. if a page takes a minute and a half to read and most people only stay there 15 seconds they are not finding what they expect, you need to fix it. Or you think a page is really cool but nobody goes there...oops.)

Good web analytics is the only way you know if what you are doing works. Having a #1 slot on Google is worthless if that doesn't translate into paying customers!
You related this whole discussion to search engine rankings and analytics/stats has absolutely nothing to do with that other than knowing which of your search phrases might use some tweaking. Other than if you do have a high "ranking" slot and your stats show you get most visitors from PA but you are in FL you screwed up your search engine listings

You are too hung up on search rankings it seems (IMHO) I can use one person as an example of how a few things quadrupled their sales in one year from their web site...but their search rankings never changed a bit that year. That wasn't what we set out to accomplish...we (me and them) set out to increase their sales as much as possible while spending as little money as possible doing it...they were pretty happy campers. That was 3 years ago, and today their site ranks #1 and #2 on Google for their "favorite" search term, but that's mainly because they became so popular for that term; not because that was the goal...that was a by-product.

Last edited by WebMan; 08-17-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I didn't miss anything. I read all my stats every week.

This thread opened with statements including rankings, search phrases and traffic.

Note that I didn't open with an absolute.

I don't disclose everything about my rankings in my article or in my threads.

It's taken me two years or reading stats from my site and from pay per click providers to figure out what vocabulary to use, down to percentages, singulars and plurals.

It's not a perfect site by any means, but I discovered that the text content, information and appearance are the most important factors of all for a landscaping service.

Feel free to chime in though. Ideas are always worth considering.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to add to the discussion. Alot of th information you have both given is true but I think we can all help each other here.

As far as knowing any sites ranking it is all too easy to tell. I have a module that I installed on my browser that tells me the ranking of each page I visist. I also go a step ahead and look at the source code and look at the keywords that the site is using and I am able to learn alot. Finally I read the info on the ome page. THIS IS ENOUGH TO AT LEAST TELL HOW WELL A SITE IS ABLE TO BRING IN GOOD TRAFFIC.

About urchin, I think it works well for me because I can tell what words are bringing traffic to my site and as a result I am able to capitalize on the words that are used most.

Lets please keep sharing ideas.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani
About urchin, I think it works well for me because I can tell what words are bringing traffic to my site and as a result I am able to capitalize on the words that are used most.
Lets please keep sharing ideas.
Don't they all do that? By number, %, etc. in both phrases & words? I know the ones I mentioned do both phrases and words and who for what both in numbers and % or visitors & % of "search engine" visitors, listed by engine & popularity.