Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

My dad mowed a small deer with a bushhog, I guess they lay still instead of bolting...when you mow professionally I think you gain much respect for the saying "Sh@# Happens"
Old 09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotta be the winner of this one. two weeks ago, I was mowing a commercial property and saw what I thought was a dead bird. I thought...no big deal;I mulch them up all the time. It turned out tobe a dead, rotting poodle. To say the least, I made my help scrape the bottom of the deck at the end of that day. Last Friday, i was mowing one of my sports parks and found a tennis ball. My helper was about a hundred feet away with a drink in his hand on a ztr. I aimed the discharge at him then got his attention. When he stopped to look at me, I tossed the tennis ball in front of my hustler then mowed over it. The ball took a 60 mph trajectory stright for him and knocked the drink right out of his hands. one in a million
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was working for the Forrest service in 1980 we where cleaning up a air force station in the mountains. "Why they had a Air Force station in the mountains I don't know" It was a Government job so we had to where steel towed boots, long pants, long sleeve shirts, safety glasses and hard hats. One guy was mowing across the street from me, I was talking the the crew leader when we heard a loud noise come from the mower, we where across the street from him, I look at the guy mowing and see a rock come shooting out from the discharge chute, it came at me so fast I could not react in time and it HIT MY HARD HAT and knocked it sideways on my head!!!! The hard hat did the job! I was fine!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With my slingshot I've sent golf balls and rocks well over 100 yards away. With the mower, thankfully nothing memorable has happened. Yet.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Years ago I was cutting my grass with a 19" snapper,thru a rock through the side window of our van about fifty feet away.
It was the middle of a Georgia summer and the windows where up, the resulting explosion sounded like a 12 gauge going off next to me.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I demoed a mower (not using the name to protect the innocent), and was jamming along when i caught a big one about the size of 2 fists and tossed it about 20-30 feet. The insuing shhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggkkkkkkkkkkkkkk sound was perfect, along with the relief that this mower wasnt mine at the end of the day!
America is good country
Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

My buddy was mowing one day and I was trimming, about 15 feet away, looked up and he hit a rock when I was facing him. Unfortanately I wasnt wearing a hard hat and luckily I didnt get hit, it missed me by about 3".

Later that summer I ran the deck of the mower across his foot, that was a close one too. We stoped and stared at each other in disbelief for a few seconds and went back to work.

This past summer I hit a crab apple(6" dia.) It flew for about 150' bounced 3 times a came to rest at the side of an elderly man working in his garden.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Tennies Ball

About seven years ago i used to mow for another company and we were mowing a lawn three guys i was weed waking and i heard a thunk and it was a tennies ball out of our old rider it hit the guy on the JD walk behind and he fell right off the mower it had and ol sulky on it. It was so funny. No one was hurt thank god
Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeTruckMan731 View Post
i was cutting my yard before and i shot my dogs tennis ball 3 peoples yard away, Ive been lucky tho not to many rocks flying out of my mower.
I had a yard 2 years ago where the damn kids would leave stuff everywhere and we didnt find this tennis ball til' it was too late....I bet I launched that thing 200ft or better.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Years ago I was on a Kubota F2400 and hit a hidden clean out pipe. Unfortunately it launched the metal top 30' thru a double pane slider. Paid out of pocket instead of insurance. Chute blockers ever since.