Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i can give you tech info on the units. first both only use mild steel in the heads. the steel is light weight (not thick). this will be problem in the long run. look at the teeth, dont get hungup on the BS of the double sided teeth that you can trun over and adjustable motors.
look to see how much larger the tooth than the tooth holder, the more tooth past the holder the more protection for the holder and drum. ask if you can talk with a tech or engineer at if you need to can you get a direct number to tech or engineer for help if the dealer cant help you.
how long have they been making muching heads and the number of different heads do they make.
given the facts and not the BS i would be looking at FAE or Fecon.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am going to demo an FAE with cat paint on it next week (hopefully)

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

My input may not be very helpful, but I just bought a FAE head. Based on local availability, it was either FAE of Magnum. FAE has been in business much longer and carries all size mulchers. Magnum is a relatively new company, which isn't necessarily bad. Maybe a new approach from them could have improved on other's weak areas.

Most of this comes from a FAE salesman, so take it for what it's worth, but it may give you something to look at. The FAE does have adjustable skids. Also the push bar is built much stronger and the sides form a "v" coming into the center. The Magnum has a straight push bar, much lighter material. But if you cut a large tree, the FAE's "V" should keep it centered, while the magnum 6' flat bar would allow it to easily slip to the side. From what I hear from more than one person, do not get the double sided teeth on the magnum. If you turn some around, it caused the drum to become unbalanced. But I don't see what would be different in replacing a few teeth on the FAE. The Magnum does have a pressure gauge which I think is nice. The physical size of the Magnum is smaller, which may provide better visibility, and it may be lighter? The FAE is pretty heavy.

I have never seen any head other than the FAE operate, so I can't speak for performance. I think customer service may play a part in the decision. Both seem like really good heads and should be fine.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

GyroTrac 500HF

Have you called to see about a demoing a GyroTrac cutter head?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

GyroTrac cutter heads

GyroTrac has 2 cutter heads available:
one is a low flow cutter head which needs 17 to 22 gpm's of hydraulic flow to operate. It uses the planar technology which lets you cut faster and leave behind a smaller product. The product looks more like mulch that you would buy from lowes or home depot for your flower garden.
The other cutter head is the high flow cutter head. It requires 35 to 50 gpm's of hydraulic flow. This cutter head can handle larger jobs faster and it has the planar technology as well. I recommend that you check them out @ gyrotrac.com it couldn't hurt.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

It might hurt the wallet. I hear they are good heads, but EXPENSIVE! I figure it would be hard to justify the extra cost.