Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Just took off the carb, thoroughly cleaned with carb cleaner, replaced float needle valve and reassembled. Amazingly, it still is extremely hard to start when hot and now at lowest idle, it intermittently "sputters" and often dies. I've cleaned the tank, replaced fuel lines, fuel filter, plug, air filter, set the coil air gap, 100 lbs compression. I may get another carb as a last ditch effort before I finally give up on this thing!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Before you go and buy a new carb. perform the ignition test below just to eliminate that as a problem. And the factory recommended spark plug is a NGK BMR4A gapped at .024". Who ever crossed this plug to Champion could have given you a colder heat range plug which could cause a weak spark and hard cold start problem.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again for following this thread Rob. Apparantly it does indeed have the wrong plug. It has a Champion RN11YC4 now, looks like a CJ14 crosses to the NGK BMR4A. So it seems it has a plug that's too cold, but it has a HOT starting problem now. It will almost always start cold, albeit with lots of cranking. I'll break out my meter and check the resistance on the coil and control unit very soon. Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radjxf
It has a Champion RN11YC4 now
The 4 on the end of that number indicates a .040" gap which is almost twice the gap the fire has to jump....Perform your test and install a NGK plug if you can get one and see what happens.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Rob, since last time posting, I took apart the carb and thoroughly cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Also, the plug I had was 3! heat ranges too cold. No one around here has NGK, so I crossed your number to a Champion CJ14.
Also performed the coil and control unit checks. Control unit was exactly within range and the primary coil to core was 0.6 ohms and plug lead to core was at the very edge of the given range at 18.5 kohms. She still takes a lot of cranks to fire up at full choke when cold, but now runs much smoother at low idle and doesn't die. I didn't have to time try to start it when hot (working on the new house), but seems very promising. Thanks a million for all of the help.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No problem.....BTW, Where are you setting your throttle control when starting ?
Quote:
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

When cold, I set it all the way to the "top" which is full choke. Sometimes slightly pulling the throttle control down into near "wide open" throttle makes it start. Still seems to want to flood easily, and note that I did NOT replace the float needle valve (yet). Plastic float looked OK, no gas sloshing around in it or anything unusual.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Hate to revive my old thread, but spring is on it's way, time to tackle the project JD some more.
Well, after cleaning and replacing fuel lines, fuel filter, new (correct) plug, tearing down and cleaning out carb, new float jet, testing of coil and control unit (thanks Restrorob for the advice) and much cursing I'm now at this point.
When starting, it either (1) won't start at full choke unless you pour some gas in the carb or (2) it floods badly. I've also made absolutely sure that the choke butterfly CLOSES COMPLETELY. Why does the choke butterfly have a 1/4" hole in it?! Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the choke?
I'm close to tossing the carb out the window and finding another one. Anyone know where to find a used one other than Ebay? Thanks again for any further advice.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

do you have a good picture for the carb adjustment, especially the springs I get the feeling one was installed wrong. The pics from the pdf are real dark. Thanks.