Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Simplicity Citation VS exmark Lazer Z AS

I am starting my business, and have been looking at the Simplicity Citation. This is Simplicity's commercial grade ZTR. It has a 52" deck and 23 HP Briggs engine. My dealer also sells exmark ZTR's. The exmark Lazer Z AS compares to the Simplicity Citation. My dealer claims the Citation is in the same ballpark as the exmark, and is slightly less expensive. I am aware of the quality of exmark, and I know of many professional companys that use exmark. My question is do any of you have any experience with Simplicity commercial ZTR mowers? If they are as good as my dealer says they are, why don't I see any professionals using them? I am leaning towards the Simplicity because I am just getting started and could use the price difference to invest in other equipment.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a no brainer....

The AS is a great mower to start out with and has one of the best decks out there. I see plenty of professionals using them and few with the Simplicity. I would lean the other way if I were you. I have owned an AS and it is basically the origianal Lazer Z. This is a no contest decision, Exmark with the Ultracut deck is one of the better machines out there. You'd be better of to try to save some bucks on the equipments starting out than you main piece of equipment. Nobody will know which trimmer you used, or which blower but when they see the cut quality that says everything. No brainer in this case, I am 100% positive you should get the Exmark over the Simplicity. Make that 200% sure no matter what others may say.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to save some money there are alot of guy on this forum that like the "comercial" Cub tanks. Ask ProStreetCamaro or Envy Lawn because they have experience with these Cub/Leso mowers. I personally don't think you could do much better starting out than the AS Lazer. Get the foot pedal option about $75. As far as your dealer telling you about quality of the Simplicity (which I don't know about) most dealers stand behind and will say that the equipment they sell is quality. Watch the other LCO's in your area and see what they pull. Having an Exmark on the lawn tells others that you care about your work quality. This goes for many other brands. I've never seen a Simplicity on a contractors trailer, never. They may be ok equipment, I don't know but the AS I do know. Put mine through thing that should have been done with a larger mower and it never let me down.

Last edited by tacoma200; 10-05-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing of simplicity's is commercial. All of it is designed for homeowners. Go with a lazer and you will never look back.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36
Nothing of simplicity's is commercial. All of it is designed for homeowners. Go with a lazer and you will never look back.
how would you no u dont own a machine like that. even though i would have to agree with you because unless its a vanguard your right.
6.5*16 diomandback trailer
exmark lazer Z 52" 23/52 w/ jrco dethacher and trac vac
bunton w/b 11/52
craftsman lt1000 tractor 14.5/42
ford tractor 18hp
john deere trimmer pro series
stihl powerbroom
excaliber 22" hedge trimmer
homlite hand held blower
commercial poulman pro bp blower BP400
yard machine 21
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
If you want to save some money there are alot of guy on this forum that like the "comercial" Cub tanks. Ask ProStreetCamaro or Envy Lawn because they have experience with these Cub/Leso mowers. I personally don't think you could do much better starting out than the AS Lazer. Get the foot pedal option about $75. As far as your dealer telling you about quality of the Simplicity (which I don't know about) most dealers stand behind and will say that the equipment they sell is quality. Watch the other LCO's in your area and see what they pull. Having an Exmark on the lawn tells others that you care about your work quality. This goes for many other brands. I've never seen a Simplicity on a contractors trailer, never. They may be ok equipment, I don't know but the AS I do know. Put mine through thing that should have been done with a larger mower and it never let me down.
Ditto Everything.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, here is the straight up of it....

The Simplicity Citation is just a little better looking Ferris IS1500 with half the warranty for commercial use. All Simplicity versions are this way... dunno why.

Anyways, for that kind of money, no question I would go with the Lazer AS. Yeah, the back tires suck if you have to mow slopes and such. But better tires don't cost that much (dunno why eXmark uses those).

It has also been well established as fact that the UltraCut on the Lazer FAR out-cuts the Ferris/Simplicity deck. Plus you get a tired and true design that is battle proven and twice the warranty period.

Yes, the new Lesco/Cub Commercial ZTR's are also GREAT and can be found at great prices in some areas of the country. Cub offers a longer warranty period though I think.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

i run a lazer as 60 inch and have to say it is an awesome machine. the only thing that i am unsatisfied with is the mulching kit price. there is a four inch deep deck and a five inch deck one is more expensive, the four inch deck by forty dollars that is the one i have. anyways go with the exmark you will love it.
shindaiwa t-231
shindaiwa 22t
2 maruyama bl 8100 bp blowers
2 toro 22" recyclers
stihl ms 290 farmboss 20in
60" lazer z as