Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may very well be better off with the Exmark, my Hustler stomps my Exmark because I use it for what it was designed to do. I believe Hustler should make a update kit for more vacumm. You will lose power, you should try and find some high lift blades even if you have to grind them to make them fit!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

High lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
You may very well be better off with the Exmark, my Hustler stomps my Exmark because I use it for what it was designed to do. I believe Hustler should make a update kit for more vacumm. You will lose power, you should try and find some high lift blades even if you have to grind them to make them fit!
The old Exmark high lifts and dixies high lifts will fit but I think TLS or someone said it didn't help the cut.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I have noticed my Hustler does not cut real good high on St.Augustine grass. The way the front is designed if you raise the deck up you are going to lose alot of vacumm. I think this would cause a majority of the problem. For me I like the mower the way it is,I bought it to blow out big properties quick for smaller ST.Augustine I use Mid sized walk behinds for going for quality. For the kind of cutting I do I never take a ZTR as a serious high end cutter for my lawns. When it comes to high end work I find the modern ZTR to be a turf tearing pig that likes too scalp. This is for the cutting I do, all areas are different and require different machines to be efficient.
I can do some pretty good high end work with a ZTR. If you see it as a "turf tearing pig" you need to learn how to turn around. You can't just "hard stick it" and yank it around.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostriper
I can do some pretty good high end work with a ZTR. If you see it as a "turf tearing pig" you need to learn how to turn around. You can't just "hard stick it" and yank it around.
Not as high end as a good WB with a velkie. By the time you slow down and do a 3 point turn and fiddle F#ck around on a ZTR I have the WB loaded up or going to the next small to medium account next door. Don't get me wrong I like the ZTR but they have limitations. Alot of my costumers pay me extra to leave that pig on the trailer. Here in FL in shaded STAugustine I do not care how good you are at operating a ZTR it is only a matter of time before most of the shaddy areas open up with bald spots from a ZTR! I love it because the clown who can't realize he killed their clients lawn with the lawn swine gets fired and I get hired to walk it with a WB or velkie.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad to see the Hustler deck and cutting issues are getting lots of publicity. I really love the mower, but want to see dramatic improvements in the cut quality. I commend Tacomma for spearheading this effort to get Hustler to look at the cut quality and make the neccesary improvements. I am also glad to see Puppypaws noticed the cut quality issue. He has been one of the biggest proponets for the new deck and machine. It appears if his deck is like my deck, to cut on the fifth hole, he is cutting at the 3" mark. On my deck and on others I know of, they cut about 1/2" below the indicator. If this is the case, and with 8psi, I would bet Puppypaws is only cutting around 2.5" at the max. This would be why he gets a clean cut I would imagine. In any event, I am glad to see that we all are in the same boat. Just imagine if Puppypaws cut at 3.5" as I like to do during the summer. The tires press everything down and have no chance of being vaccumed up, not to mention other lazy grass.

Tacomma, does your exmark cut just as clean at 3.5"? Man what I wouldn't give for a perfect cut at 3.5". Actually my old Super does pretty good if the grass is dry at that height. If it is at all moist the vaccum will suffer as well.

Keep up the good work!
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook
I am glad to see the Hustler deck and cutting issues are getting lots of publicity. I really love the mower, but want to see dramatic improvements in the cut quality. I commend Tacomma for spearheading this effort to get Hustler to look at the cut quality and make the neccesary improvements. I am also glad to see Puppypaws noticed the cut quality issue. He has been one of the biggest proponets for the new deck and machine. It appears if his deck is like my deck, to cut on the fifth hole, he is cutting at the 3" mark. On my deck and on others I know of, they cut about 1/2" below the indicator. If this is the case, and with 8psi, I would bet Puppypaws is only cutting around 2.5" at the max. This would be why he gets a clean cut I would imagine. In any event, I am glad to see that we all are in the same boat. Just imagine if Puppypaws cut at 3.5" as I like to do during the summer. The tires press everything down and have no chance of being vaccumed up, not to mention other lazy grass.

Tacomma, does your exmark cut just as clean at 3.5"? Man what I wouldn't give for a perfect cut at 3.5". Actually my old Super does pretty good if the grass is dry at that height. If it is at all moist the vaccum will suffer as well.

Keep up the good work!
They have to get that issue resolved for you boys that cut commercially, that deck should cut any height you want it to and do a perfect job with sharp blades. I know the way you have to cut commercially and you can flat believe I would raise cain if I did it for a living and could not cut at 3 1/2" and not take but the exact amount of grass off that I needed to. I cut low like you say and as fast as I can run, but cutting lower it does a good job, if I had to cut high as fast as I like to run I actually believe it would probably only cut maybe 75% of the grass and that I would not like at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Not as high end as a good WB with a velkie. By the time you slow down and do a 3 point turn and fiddle F#ck around on a ZTR I have the WB loaded up or going to the next small to medium account next door.
If you're still doing 3 point turns you don't have a clue on how to operate a ZTR. If you're having problems with turf tearing then you're doing something wrong.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

all you need is a laptop the softwear and the plug the soft wear and plug i think cost around 250.00 less than a set of snapon wrenches i will type back when i get into the shop as to the price if i am wrong.as far as that being the set back, it may well be.i charge the same for a efi or the carb engine
Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes very good at 3.25 to 3.5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook

Keep up the good work!
Yes the Ultracut deck cuts great at those heights. It really never misses a blade of grass and they are all almost the same height. If you go over a hole or dip it will loose a little vaccum (such as a grave yard where they have sunk in a little) you will notice the cut in the dip is not as smooth but this is the exception. I never cut above 3.75 but up till that point the Ultracut is pretty much carpet smooth. It's not the best deck for wet grass but it throws dry grass 3+ withs with a wide dispersement. You can tell the Ultracut deck with the standard factory notched high lifts takes alot more power than the XR7. But the exaust is so powerful I use it often to blow parking lots off where the XR7 will not blow hard enough to blow debris off a parking lot. Boy did Exmark mess up changing this deck. Not the best with wet grass and I have to scrap it twice as often as the XR7 but well worth it.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman65
all you need is a laptop the softwear and the plug the soft wear and plug i think cost around 250.00 less than a set of snapon wrenches i will type back when i get into the shop as to the price if i am wrong.as far as that being the set back, it may well be.i charge the same for a efi or the carb engine
Thank you, finally somebody that can actually explain to people the problems you have seen with the efi's and how hard or easy they are to work on and the exact equipment it takes and how much it cost. This will help everybody understand why or why not they find dealer's everywhere that don't want to fool with the efi engines.