Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no comparing a DC deck to a Hustler deck. Two entirely different leagues. Both do a decent job of cutting grass, and both are commercially rated and built well, but the Hustler deck is hands down one of the toughest built I have EVER seen.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So you haven't used a new chopper ? And how many dents have you had to bang out ?

Or did ya "look and "see" someone banging them out. You can come "look" at my mowers and "see" that I haven't had to bang on the decks and they have held up just fine.

Run a few for the next 3 or 4 years and "see" how they "look". Cause it sounds like to me you don't know crap about the modern Dixie's. Or maybe you have that super power where you can "look" at something and magically "see" how well it works.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie decks cut well, but the right side of there deck needs some serious re-enforcing. I have had 3 choppers... and on all of them the right side of the deck bends down as well as the scalp wheel and digs into yards.

The hustler deck has a great leading edge on the deck, but we have still broken welds on the side of the deck. The bracing bracket on the back of our Super Z has broken at least 4 times. I have noticed they have changed the design on the newer models, but they should have a recall or update kit for the 05/06 mowers.

I am thinking Scag and Exmark on the only companies that know how to make a mower that can take abuse.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
Dixie decks cut well, but the right side of there deck needs some serious re-enforcing. I have had 3 choppers... and on all of them the right side of the deck bends down as well as the scalp wheel and digs into yards.

The hustler deck has a great leading edge on the deck, but we have still broken welds on the side of the deck. The bracing bracket on the back of our Super Z has broken at least 4 times. I have noticed they have changed the design on the newer models, but they should have a recall or update kit for the 05/06 mowers.

I am thinking Scag and Exmark on the only companies that know how to make a mower that can take abuse.
And Bob Cat; there built like a brick poo house too.
Rhode Island

2003 Ford F350 Dully V10 4+4
2003 Bobcat 61 inch ZTR, 25 horse Kolher
2002 Bobcat 54-inch walk behind, 17 horse Kawasaki
Stihl Back blower
2 Stihl strait shaft weed whackers
Stihl Chain saw
Little wonder hedge trimmer
Toro 22
9 foot Fisher plow
12+6 trailer
Red Max 8000 blower
Protero grass catcher for ZTR
Easy Dumper insert
water tank and pump set up for truck
Magna matic blade ballancer and grinder
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's what I did to make my DC hang to hills .....took two 60 lb tractor weights and hung them on the back. I can sidehill anything that way and going up hill is pretty decent.
It also dramatically helped turning with out spinning the rear wheels as much.
Just my two cents.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn
So you haven't used a new chopper ? And how many dents have you had to bang out ?

Or did ya "look and "see" someone banging them out. You can come "look" at my mowers and "see" that I haven't had to bang on the decks and they have held up just fine.

Run a few for the next 3 or 4 years and "see" how they "look". Cause it sounds like to me you don't know crap about the modern Dixie's. Or maybe you have that super power where you can "look" at something and magically "see" how well it works.
Your dam right I can,If you cannot that is your problem. In my opinion a Dixie compared to a Hustler is a flimsy pile of $hit!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Which year Hustler do you have? According to Hustler they claim the XR 7 deck is way tougher than the previous deck. Please explain where the mower keeps breaking welds. If one area is a problem That does not bother me I take it to my machine shop welder and he can make anything alot better. You have to remember you are hitting stuff going 12 or 15 MPH so a mower will break at these speeds more?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The discharge side of deck is coming apart. This side of the deck does not trim... so it really does not get banged up. I think Scags are much more durable than these hustlers.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The discharge side of deck is coming apart. This side of the deck does not trim... so it really does not get banged up. I think Scags are much more durable than these hustlers.
Man I don't know what kind of Hustler you have or what is going on unless you got one made on Monday and the welder was hung over but you would kill yourself trying to tear up the four I have owned. I hit a cedar stump so hard one day that it completely stopped the mower and thank the Lord I was turning so my speed was maybe 2 or 3 mph, when it happened I thought it had to have torn up something because it almost threw me up and out of the seat. I got off and checked the deck good all over and I could not even tell where it hit the stump. I honestly don't know how you would go about tearing up a Super Z deck I have owned unless you left it sitting in the rain forest for a couple of years and let it get good and rusty then took it out and ran into everything you could find and then I am not real sure you could tear up the ones I have owned then. I am not talking about yours I am talking about the ones I have owned and had experience with.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMower
And Bob Cat; there built like a brick poo house too.
You are kidding right?

Not that they're a bad mower, (good commercial rated machines) but I can think of a LOT of mowers built a LOT better than a BobCat. I guess what I'm saying is, that many mowers are built properly. I just feel that Hustler WAY overbuilds their machines. Personally, I think my deck is entirely TOO heavy (weight wise). But this is one deck that I will never have to worry about repairing.

Anyone weigh their XR-7 deck? With or without the lift kit and triangles? Now I know why they use the heavier chain to support the deck!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980