Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
The discharge side of deck is coming apart. This side of the deck does not trim... so it really does not get banged up. I think Scags are much more durable than these hustlers.
I know scags are made great but I had problems with them as well. I do not like the shaft drive on the Turf Tiger and the front ends are easily bent but other than that they were way tougher than the Deere 797 I used. If areas just need to be welded that does not bother me my weld guy can make anything way better than new. I like the hustlers because how simple the sdesign is so it is easy to fix when things do go wrong!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scags feel like a tougher mower so far. I am not sure if I am a fan of the shaft drive yet. We have had one seal fail so far. We will know in 1000 hours how reliable they really are. They retain there value better than Dixies or Hustlers.

Our Hustler actually caught fire on Monday and burned to a crisp. Hopefully insurance will cover it. I don't know what happened. My guys were mowing and the next thing they knew it was in flames. They had to call 911 to put it out. Would this be a warranty issue?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Scags feel like a tougher mower so far. I am not sure if I am a fan of the shaft drive yet. We have had one seal fail so far. We will know in 1000 hours how reliable they really are. They retain there value better than Dixies or Hustlers.

Our Hustler actually caught fire on Monday and burned to a crisp. Hopefully insurance will cover it. I don't know what happened. My guys were mowing and the next thing they knew it was in flames. They had to call 911 to put it out. Would this be a warranty issue?
Have you ever considered a Lesco Z2 ?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No lesco dealers here... and lord knowe I gotta have a good dealer. I know the wildcat scag is belt driven and I believe there is a 61" version.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
No lesco dealers here... and lord knowe I gotta have a good dealer. I know the Wildcat Scag is belt driven and I believe there is a 61" version.
I definitely do not like the shaft drive aspect of the tiger. I talked a guy who had a new wild cat 61 and he told me the rear wheel width was to narrow for a 61 deck and the machine scalped when you hit holes.