Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We know this crap

DEEJ, I'm glad all Canadians do not talk down to others as do you. It would give them a bad name. Grounding problem, running out of gas problem, blown computer problems are problems with the system no matter who's at fault and can be very costly. I understand your point that EFI is a superior technology but as you have stated the mower companies didn't have good knowledge how to install one, owners should read their manuals but only a small percentage do and I'm not scared of EFI. In fact I embrace it as mainstream. The mechanics and dealers in the rural area I live in haven't been trained. All my knowledge is not second hand even the mower manufacturers had told me not to buy the EFI until more mechanics are trained. You quote "My point is: EFI increases the reliabliity of the engine, as a rule, just as it has done for all of the cars and trucks we drive today. Not to mention smooth consistent power, responsiveness, easy starting, excellent fuel economy, better emissions ..." I agree with. I have no problem with EFI or technology. I was an electronic tech in the Navy with a secret clearance and have worked on equipment MUCH (Radar, satellite communications, krypto equipment, transceivers, etc.)more complicated than a simple EFI but if I can't get service in my area on the EFI it doesn't do me any good. I'm driving 80 miles to one dealer now. Stop talking down to people like your some college professor. We all know this crap.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Tacoma, There was zero attempt to talk down to you. Sorry if you feel that I did. You sated that the EFI engines have many problems. I am simply stating that those are not engine problems you are talking about, they are user problems. The engine cannot be blamed when the user runs out of fuel, or boosts it wrong, or grounds it wrong. We all know that you make darn sure you don't run out of fuel in a diesel. People (manufacturers and users) will learn what they can or can't do with EFI.

You may "know this crap", but you stated otherwise and blamed the engines, so I was just correcting the false information.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODIXIE
Hello, I was browsing though this fourm and I ran across this post. I had to jump in here and add. Before I say anything, in no way shape for form am I bashing any mower brand out there. I have the upmost respect for "most" mower makes on the market. This week I got the chance to try out a hustler for a few days. Ive heard nothing but good things about them. So I had this areas TM drop one off for me to try out.

My first impression of it when he pulled it off the trailer was the lack on engine on the machine. It had a 25hp air cooled kawi, with a 60" cut. I was impressed with the style of the machine, it being verry close to the look on an Exmark. I took off and mowed the grass infront of my shop with it. The grass was dry thin with few think areas. I was verry impressed with the cut quality. Ive mowed with gravleys, exmarks and a few other brands. Exmarks being so highly rated around here. U cant drive around without seeing 75 exmarks on trailers. Anyways, I noticed some pump whine which I never hear on our dixie choppers, the handles wernt as easy to operate with the resitance on the pumps on the hustler. Wasnt impressed with the ride totaly. Im a big guy 6'4 275lbs, suspension seats for me are a nightmare for me. They bottom out hard and spring back up hard. Also the sticks were low, my legs were hitting and it didnet have enough deck pan to spread my legs out any farther. The rep showed me how to adjust that though. Dident seem to be a big problem. I really liked the low ride it had. The dixies do sit up high.

After the rep left I took it out and did some more mowing, I took it out back to a decent patch of grass. Anythign thick at all and the engine was bogging wayyy down. Never a problem for my dixie choppers. Also this thing cant mow at full speed what so ever. Not saying that the chopper will leave a beautiful cut at 15 mph. But if your on a place where it dosent matter U can still run and cut most of the grass. The hustler would probably kill itself out in and sort of thick grass going that fast. Still I was verry impressed with the flat beautiful cut in regualr grass. It dident do as good of a job at cutting up the clippings like my chopper does, I run the drouble blades on all of them, they make clippings into dust. This one threw out big leaves of fescue and left a noticable windrow.

Also mowing next to objects, I never realzed how much of a blessing the OCDC was that the dixie choppers come with, I was felling left out with the lack of one on the huster, I also do know you can buy them after market.

After I was done mowing, I lifted the seat and started compareing it to my choppers, The hydraulic setup on the huster really let me down. They are running 19cc hydrogear pumps, The ones that dixie chopper just got rid of cause they werent meeting dixie chopper standards. I was also disapointed with the lack of hydraulic hose to the pumps. Although huster said they are warrantied for lifetime not to leak. So il live with that. The engine placement seemed werid to me, the sideways and covered up with no easy way to really access the engine, Im sopiled by my choppers, they cant be any more accesable. Deck durabality was good. they use 7guage wiht a double top plate just as dixie chopper does. But it had a peice of metal around the pulley assembly to where grass is just gonna fill up that pocket and your gonna run your belts though all that grass all day long. Dixie chopper dosent have that problem at all. They pullies were thin and plastic looking, with a smaller thinner belt than on the choppers, And yes it had an electric clutch. I ran grasshoppers when I frist got in the busienss with the electric clutch and Id have trouble ever having one again on a comercial cutter.

Im gonna wrap this up, Overall I did like the hustler for its cut quality and overall stance of the machiene and the looks. It was more stylish then the choppers. but looks of the machine dont cut your grass.

At the end of the day id have trouble takeing one of these over my choppers, Ive proven that dixie choppers get the job done faster and last WAYY longer then most brands out there. Ive been selling choppers for 3 years now and not had to go inside of one generiac engine. and thats no lie. They deffently spoil the dealers with no headaches and happy customers.
I have never owned a Chopper, I took one look at the Kraft macoroni and cheese deck and said no thanks. This was on older models are the new ones any better? I bought a new Hustler the mower is great, it has a 27 Kohler and I mow 2 week old bahai in Florida at full speed for the most part with no problem. I am very mechanically inclined and when I look at a Dixie I come away unimpressed when I looked at a Hustler I said sign me up. And by the way I believe the Hustler have 21 cc pumps?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
I have never owned a Chopper, I took one look at the Kraft macoroni and cheese deck and said no thanks. This was on older models are the new ones any better? I bought a new Hustler the mower is great, it has a 27 Kohler and I mow 2 week old bahai in Florida at full speed for the most part with no problem. I am very mechanically inclined and when I look at a Dixie I come away unimpressed when I looked at a Hustler I said sign me up. And by the way I believe the Hustler have 21 cc pumps?
Both brands are good mowers, its all in what you are comfortable with.
Hustler Super Z's run 21cc Hydro Gear pumps not 19cc.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant
you know, i really like the way you guys at hustler don't bash other equipment and just let your product speak for itself. very professional and it speaks well of the company. but you CAN say the dixie is ugly, we all know it

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think my Hustler cuts bahai any better than my Dixie Choppers.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant
Your to kind if you won't bashem I will. They look like crap to me and remind me of a Harley, tired and seen it's day!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to clarify I was not trying to bash hustler in any way. And saying u took one look at a mower and didnet like it is probably the worst comment ive ever heard. U never know untill you try something. And on the pumps being 21cc. Hustlers TM told me they were 19CC pumps....... So someone here is worng. Id never bash a mower untill I tried it. I never had a comment on hustler untill I tried it. And I stated what I thought of the machine.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I have put them side by side. Bolth brand new machines and in my oppinion the dixie chopper was a better mower. Dixie chopper had thier deck problems in 05 and earlier. In 06 they made serous much needed improvements to thier decks and they are top knotch. And im not saying that I thought hustler was a peice of junk. It was a verry well built and thought out mower design. Its just dixie chopper went the extra mile.

I have no bad impression of hustler. Infact the only mower ive ever sat on and thought was junk was a gravley. I have alot of respect for hustlers and exmarks. They are top knotch mowers, But for my money id put it into a chopper. Ive seen choppers with 4,000+ hours on them still running strong. Im sure there are hustelrs out doing the same.
Dixie has just proven itself time after time. They arent the biggest company or the flashiest. But they build a damn good mower.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
Your to kind if you won't bashem I will. They look like crap to me and remind me of a Harley, tired and seen it's day!
No need to "bashem", life's to short.
I will take a Harley any day, I don't think they are tired, more like a piece of art to me.

Pj
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=mowerconsultant]No need to "bashem", life's to short.
I will take a Harley any day, I don't think they are tired, more like a piece of art to me. pj quote

Then I suggest you get a Dixie to go with it, Dixies are antiquated just like a Harley. Yes Harley's are O.K bikes just like Dixies are O.K mowers. The Dixie is long in the tooth just like Harley but at least a Harley will get you laid because it's not so dam ugly!