Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Deej

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEJ
Tacoma, There was zero attempt to talk down to you. Sorry if you feel that I did. You sated that the EFI engines have many problems. I am simply stating that those are not engine problems you are talking about, they are user problems. The engine cannot be blamed when the user runs out of fuel, or boosts it wrong, or grounds it wrong. We all know that you make darn sure you don't run out of fuel in a diesel. People (manufacturers and users) will learn what they can or can't do with EFI.

You may "know this crap", but you stated otherwise and blamed the engines, so I was just correcting the false information.
Heres you quote:
"I laugh at that statement every time I hear it. Mechanically the EFIs are a small engine like any other. Still has pistons, valves etc that every mechanic has seen before. Instead of a carburetor, they have a Bosch fuel injection system that consists of an injector, a few sensors, and a small control computer. EFI is unbelievably reliable compared to a carburetor. Surely you drive a car and I don't have to tell you this!! The computer even reports error codes if there is an EFI problem.

Think about your fuel injected car and truck. Are most problems related to the fuel injection, or the age old mechanical parts .... old principals still apply when working on an EFI engine.

In the USA thats talking down to someone, explaining how efi engines have pistons, valves, instead of a carburetor they have Bosch fuel injection, surely you drive a car, etc, etc. Sounds like you talking to a group of preschoolers instead of your peers. Well so we got off on the wrong foot my Canadian friend. I have worked around fuel injection in many different areas and have personally seen problems with injectors (I've taken boxes full to be rebuilt), pumps, fuel pressure, mixing too lean, mixing too rich, sensors failing, oxygen sensors not sending the proper voltage, leaks, ground problems, and the list goes on. Usually they are dependable but when they do fail it can be expensive. I've really never had alot of carb problems. I've had alot more efi problems with equipment, autos, truck, heavy trucks etc. And I think Bosch should have put in safe guard against such things as using a battery charger or jumping one which they probably have by now. Bad engineering. Have a good day my friend to the North.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODIXIE
Just to clarify I was not trying to bash hustler in any way. And saying u took one look at a mower and didnet like it is probably the worst comment ive ever heard. U never know untill you try something. And on the pumps being 21cc. Hustlers TM told me they were 19CC pumps....... So someone here is worng. Id never bash a mower untill I tried it. I never had a comment on hustler untill I tried it. And I stated what I thought of the machine.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I have put them side by side. Bolth brand new machines and in my oppinion the dixie chopper was a better mower. Dixie chopper had thier deck problems in 05 and earlier. In 06 they made serous much needed improvements to thier decks and they are top knotch. And im not saying that I thought hustler was a peice of junk. It was a verry well built and thought out mower design. Its just dixie chopper went the extra mile.

I have no bad impression of hustler. Infact the only mower ive ever sat on and thought was junk was a gravley. I have alot of respect for hustlers and exmarks. They are top knotch mowers, But for my money id put it into a chopper. Ive seen choppers with 4,000+ hours on them still running strong. Im sure there are hustelrs out doing the same.
Dixie has just proven itself time after time. They arent the biggest company or the flashiest. But they build a damn good mower.
They are Hydro-Gear BDP 21 cc, I don't know who you were talking to from Hustler but he needs a little more knowledge on the Hustler products he is trying to represent.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
They are Hydro-Gear BDP 21 cc, I don't know who you were talking to from Hustler but he needs a little more knowledge on the Hustler products he is trying to represent.
Agreed and once again I was not bashing hustler in any way. They do make a good mower. I loved the cut on the machenie. Im still thinking about takeing on the product to sell. They would deff take on the high end comercial market that dixie missed out on im my area. Its pure exmark around here. And I think hustler can beat exmark on cut and that would make me money in the near future. But for long term. When dixie chopper gets thier decks cutting like these they will be on top of the market. And I dont want to take on hustler when I cant say they are better then my choppers. Cause imo the quality of cut are the only thing they have up on DC's
Old 08-18-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler cut

Quote:
Agreed and once again I was not bashing hustler in any way. They do make a good mower. I loved the cut on the machenie. Im still thinking about takeing on the product to sell. They would deff take on the high end comercial market that dixie missed out on im my area. Its pure exmark around here. And I think hustler can beat exmark on cut and that would make me money in the near future. But for long term. When dixie chopper gets thier decks cutting like these they will be on top of the market. And I dont want to take on hustler when I cant say they are better then my choppers. Cause imo the quality of cut are the only thing they have up on DC's
I assume Missouri has alot of the mixed Northern grass we do here. The Hustler cut isn't all that good on Northern grasses unless your cutting low. Believe me my Exmark is kicking it's behind on smoothness of cut. Haven't tried and probably won't try the Triton deck though. Better test one good in your area before you take the plunge. I use the Hustler on rough lawns and the Emark (Ultracut) on the nicer lawns.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well tacoma i did not see anyone talking down to you, and i am not going to have a war of wits with a unarmed man but...the kohler e.f.i. is a far better engine than anything out there.i think kawajunkie even has a copy out this year.and the kawajunkie is a substanderd engine compared to any of the others.dont belive me ?ask you hustler guy, hey mower consultant how many kawajunkies did hustler eat say three or four years ago? rember the top main bearing that was a joke was it not.and the coils i have a bucket full of em and lets not talk about the valves sticking and bending or oil pouring from the casting in the block not at the gaskets mind you but right through the metal
now kaw liquid cooled engines are a good engine have nothing bad to say about them just the air cooled.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Will the 28 efi mow at top speed most of the time on the Dixie? What model, cut do you have? The 28 EFI seems to do good if you mechanic knows how to work on them.
Whether it will mow at top speed depends on who's doing the mowing...

A lot of guys will just raise the deck when they get into thick heavy growth and under that premise, yes I can mow as fast as the terrain will allow all the time. I give the same cut week after week so when I lived in Maryland I did have to slow down in thick heavy growth. But there's more...

I have a 2003 Extreme Mowchine with the 60" cut. A few hundred of these mowers will built with a mis-matched set of pumps and motors. As such the mower will travel insanely fast, well over 15 MPH at the factory recommended 3750 RPM. The only problem with that is the pumps and motors take more power away from the mower deck than you would usually see. As soon as I hit thick grass I have to slow down but it's nothing severe, just to like 8,9 and 10 MPH.

On the subject of the EFI, there were problems with the early EFIs but when the new ECU was released a lot of those problems disappeared. Mine has had no problems to date.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MODixie

were in MO. are you?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Whether it will mow at top speed depends on who's doing the mowing...

A lot of guys will just raise the deck when they get into thick heavy growth and under that premise, yes I can mow as fast as the terrain will allow all the time. I give the same cut week after week so when I lived in Maryland I did have to slow down in thick heavy growth. But there's more...

I have a 2003 Extreme Mowchine with the 60" cut. A few hundred of these mowers will built with a mis-matched set of pumps and motors. As such the mower will travel insanely fast, well over 15 MPH at the factory recommended 3750 RPM. The only problem with that is the pumps and motors take more power away from the mower deck than you would usually see. As soon as I hit thick grass I have to slow down but it's nothing severe, just to like 8,9 and 10 MPH.

On the subject of the EFI, there were problems with the early EFIs but when the new ECU was released a lot of those problems disappeared. Mine has had no problems to date.
Tacoma has heard me say many times I think the 28 efi is the best engine Hustler has at this time and he knows I run the mower just as fast as possible at all times. I have well over a hundred hours on this new mower and I just cut my personal property. Now that we have had rain and the Crab grass and Signal grass is growing thick and tough it is pulling the guts out of the 28 efi with the 66" XR-7 deck I have had to slow down a lot because of this in places I was cutting wide open before. I was cutting this morning and I said to myself, as tough as this grass is cutting I would love to have a 40 hp efi, from what I have seen with this engine so far I will never own another mower without efi.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

im in NW missouri. Bout an hour north of KC.
The only reason im not gonna take on the hustler line is because DC is in devolpment of a new deck and if they get one that is close to what hustler has now, there is no way I could push a hustler over a dc for 2 reasons.
One in my oppinion I think DC's are built better. This is just one mans oppinion. But when I sit them side by side it is clear that DC has the extra mile put into it. PLUS, the TM was pushing that hustler has the best warranty in the industry. Well he fround when I told him what DC's warranty was cause DC's is better.
And im a active poster on the DC fourm, And yes if someone does come on there with a brand new profile and starts bashing or downgrading our mowers we tend to get a little bent outa shape. Its nothign personal, just we try to set that fourm up to where when people have a problem we get it answerd quick and corectly, before it gets burried under 50 uselsess posts. But if any of u have any serous questions about DC's we can answer them corectly and as long as u dont come on that fourm and start posting DIXIE CHOPPER SUCKS. U will get a fast and plesant answer to your questions.
We still have alot of exmark and hustler and a few gravley boys on there too. They are part of the DC faimly now.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
im in NW missouri. Bout an hour north of KC.
The only reason im not gonna take on the hustler line is because DC is in devolpment of a new deck and if they get one that is close to what hustler has now, there is no way I could push a hustler over a dc for 2 reasons.
One in my oppinion I think DC's are built better. This is just one mans oppinion. But when I sit them side by side it is clear that DC has the extra mile put into it. PLUS, the TM was pushing that hustler has the best warranty in the industry. Well he fround when I told him what DC's warranty was cause DC's is better.
And im a active poster on the DC fourm, And yes if someone does come on there with a brand new profile and starts bashing or downgrading our mowers we tend to get a little bent outa shape. Its nothign personal, just we try to set that fourm up to where when people have a problem we get it answerd quick and corectly, before it gets burried under 50 uselsess posts. But if any of u have any serous questions about DC's we can answer them corectly and as long as u dont come on that fourm and start posting DIXIE CHOPPER SUCKS. U will get a fast and plesant answer to your questions.
We still have alot of exmark and hustler and a few gravley boys on there too. They are part of the DC faimly now.
I know nothing about Dixie Choppers and I would like to know the differences that you think put the Dixie above the Hustler Super Z, just give me every comparison and tell me the differences. Thanks