Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
cclllc's Avatar
cclllc cclllc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Just outside Nashville,Tn.
Posts: 740
I have 2 Dc's both 10 yrs old with well over 4000 hrs on the units.I have replaced one engine but that was my fault. They still have the factory wheel motors and pumps on them.The only gripes I have are the decks and weight balance.Over all they are the best on the market(imo).They will go just about anywhere.Some say they aren't good on hills but depending on the tires they are as good or better.The guy running the mower has alot to do with how a property looks more than the mower I think. I like the stainless steel myself. I think it looks cool when its clean. Why change something that works.
__________________
"Service your customers or someone else will"

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 AM
chipk1's Avatar
chipk1 chipk1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 370
I bought my x2503 50 2 years ago here is what Iv'e had to deal with.


1. @ 45 hours - Deck chain master link broke.

2. @ 50 hours - Starter solenoid went bad.

3. @ 75 Hours - Solenoid again.

4. @ 90 hours - Blew read valve in motor had to rebuild.

5. @ 115 hours - Solenoid and starter replaced.

6. @ 140 hours - Deck pedal broke had to be replaced.

7. @ 170 hours - another solenoid replace.

8. @ 200 hours - left brake cable broke.

9. @ 220 hours - right brake cable broke.

10. @ 250 hours - choke knob fell off.

11. @ 280 hours - starter problem finally fixed.

12. @ 400 hours - right fuel tank split at bracket.


This is a love hate relationship. I love this mower when it is functioning properly, but have had way to many problems for less than 500 hours on this machine. It has all the power you could ask for and more.

I can say that everything but brake cables had been handled under warranty and my dealer has been great in fixing these items quickly. But my warranty is about to expire and I am concerned about the upkeep costs in the future.
I am seriously think about selling this unit and look for another brand this is more reliable.
__________________
God is my pilot!
http://www.chipslawncare.com
http://www.whyineedjesus.com
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-19-2006, 12:16 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Chip,

1/2 of your problems are not machine specific. They are engine specific....Had your engine been placed in any other machine, you would likely have the same issues.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-19-2006, 01:45 PM
sawman65's Avatar
sawman65 sawman65 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: johnson city T.N.
Posts: 751
ist ok i can be a bit of a a$$ sometimes but at least i can admit it. i think what that other guy was trying to say was a internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine the fuel delivery systems can differ but its all the same. i am the manager of the bigest dealer in my hometown and have employed many tech's. from what i have seen it takes the guess work out just plug it in and let the program do the work
__________________
calm like a bomb
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-19-2006, 04:04 PM
chipk1's Avatar
chipk1 chipk1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS
Chip,

1/2 of your problems are not machine specific. They are engine specific....Had your engine been placed in any other machine, you would likely have the same issues.

Ya, that's what the dealer told me. Tried to get them to lemon law it, but dealer said allot of problems are over the motor and DC says that is not their problem. That kind of upset me, they are the ones selling the unit with that motor. That would be like buying a new car and having several problems with the motor and the dealer telling you that your stuck with it.
__________________
God is my pilot!
http://www.chipslawncare.com
http://www.whyineedjesus.com
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-19-2006, 04:15 PM
tacoma200's Avatar
tacoma200 tacoma200 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Southern Kentucky
Posts: 5,427
equipment for EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman65
ist ok i can be a bit of a a$$ sometimes but at least i can admit it. i think what that other guy was trying to say was a internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine the fuel delivery systems can differ but its all the same. i am the manager of the bigest dealer in my hometown and have employed many tech's. from what i have seen it takes the guess work out just plug it in and let the program do the work
So what equipment do you have to have for EFI and what is the cost for a dealer to be able to service one over a regular carb engine. I'm sure you have a code reader and software but I'm clueless other than that. Why do you think so many dealers shy away from these engines?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1
Ya, that's what the dealer told me. Tried to get them to lemon law it, but dealer said allot of problems are over the motor and DC says that is not their problem. That kind of upset me, they are the ones selling the unit with that motor.
I had eXmark pull the same thing on me back in 2000 so it's not limited to DC. I ended up paying for a repair to a brand new mower... The first dealer couldn't fix it and the second dealer charged me to repair what the first dealer screwed up. This was on a 36" Metro with less than 10 hours on it.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
So what equipment do you have to have for EFI and what is the cost for a dealer to be able to service one over a regular carb engine. I'm sure you have a code reader and software but I'm clueless other than that. Why do you think so many dealers shy away from these engines?
Two things come to mind on your question.

1: EFI is Black Voodoo
2: Ignorance is Bliss

A lot of problems with the Kohler (Bosch) EFI can be troubleshooted with nothing more than the service manual. In fact it's easier to do basic tests on Kohler's EFI than it is to do on any car ever made. You flip the key on and off 3 times and then on and the EFI goes into Key On/Engine Off test routine which tests all of the sensors. If there is a problem the EFI light (on the front panel next to the ignition switch on my DC) will flash the codes. I check mine occasionally and all I ever get is a code 61 which is "All Clear". If a code other than 61 shows up look it up in the manual and proceed with repairs.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 AM
REALSLOW REALSLOW is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS
Here we go...




That your going to have to proove. YES, their top plate is 3/16" (7 gauge), but I'm almost positive that they still use a 10 gauge deck. (If DC used 7 gauge, they'd be advertising it all over the place)




Please humble yourself.
Every time I looked at a Dixie deck it looked like thin junk to me. That was the main reason I never bought ,I could see myself with a hammer beating it out on a regalar basis.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 AM
tacoma200's Avatar
tacoma200 tacoma200 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Southern Kentucky
Posts: 5,427
You got me wrong Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Two things come to mind on your question.

1: EFI is Black Voodoo
2: Ignorance is Bliss

A lot of problems with the Kohler (Bosch) EFI can be troubleshooted with nothing more than the service manual. In fact it's easier to do basic tests on Kohler's EFI than it is to do on any car ever made. You flip the key on and off 3 times and then on and the EFI goes into Key On/Engine Off test routine which tests all of the sensors. If there is a problem the EFI light (on the front panel next to the ignition switch on my DC) will flash the codes. I check mine occasionally and all I ever get is a code 61 which is "All Clear". If a code other than 61 shows up look it up in the manual and proceed with repairs.
Sawman said they were easy to diagnose if you had the equipment and software and I was really wanting to know what you need and what it would cost. Part of the reason is the dealers around here dont want to fool with them so I was also checking if price of the equipment might be the reason. I'm sold on EFI as soon as I can get someone to work on it around here. It was a heads up serious question. I was thinking you needed a code reader and he said something about software and I'm wanting to learn since carbs will be obsolete in a few years. Thanks..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.11570 seconds with 8 queries