Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Power Raking Prices

I would appreciate hearing what you guys charge (or how you charge) for Harley Raking a yard for lawn prep and also what is your Standard Operating Procedure (i.e. go over yard first and remove rocks and debris and then spread and rake topsoil/compost/etc.)? I need to give an estimate to power rake a yard that's about 1 acre; no trees, no sprinklers but does slope pretty good around some of the perimeter. Owner is supplying compost mix that I will spread and rake and he will seed yard on his own. I'm strictly power raking. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just charge him by the hour, plus your Equipment fee. ( Mine is $150) That will get the skidloader on site, and then by the hour. Around here we get aleast $50 for basic skidloader work, so with the rake, maybe $75.00 per hour. This might sound cheap to some or to high but fuel is $3 gallon. Sounds like a 1/2 day job tops. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our Harley is $90 an hour. Bidding these kind of jobs is just a little too difficult, there's too many factors. We charge by the hour to rake and it works well for us.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

10 cents a sq. ft just to prep for seed.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bid one job and lost my @$$ raking. Hit a bunch of cobble about 6" down that I had to rake out and then remove. It's a bit like excavation really, make it known that if you find rock you will be compensated for it's removal if you're on a set bid price.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-23-2006, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't like to work for a hourly rate or at least not let the customer know my hourly rate. I would charge 1200-1400 for the prep, machine work only the customer would have to hand rake around the foundation, walk, drive and trees as well as seed, fertilize & mulch. Taking your time and doing a superb job should take ~6 hours depending how much material you have to spread and how much grading needs to done but even if things don't go as smooth as you think and it takes 10 hours you won't lose. I wish I could get 10 cents a sq/ft for a prep on that size job, I can only imagine what the customer would say handing them a bill for over 4,000. for even a full days work.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I can only imagine what the customer would say handing them a bill for over 4,000. for even a full days work.
[/QUOTE]

They usually say - dam you guys are good-- &-- fast The payment part is on the contract and no where does it state how long we have to spend to do the job.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

im doing a 1 1/2 acre property with my T5 harley rake and a TC33da.
it took me just to harley rake about 10-11 hours just to break the surface.
about 3 inches. let me tell you be carefull, i hit a big stone and i broke a master link. which is located inside the cover. it only 6-7 months old,and was shocked that it had sheared.so run it slow for the first couple of passes.what im going to start doing is walk the area and pix ax all the big stones out, then harley rake. most likely you will run into debris,so you inform the client that any trash will be left on premise and that for a fee you could remove it.
BE CAREFULL, do not give them a price until all the debris has been piled,
because you dont know how much come out.If you do, then they will hold it to you.as for pricing, dont give them an hourly rate.to me that shows a lack of experience!! and unprofessional. dont forget to call diggers hotline
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney12
im doing a 1 1/2 acre property with my T5 harley rake and a TC33da.
it took me just to harley rake about 10-11 hours just to break the surface.
about 3 inches. let me tell you be carefull, i hit a big stone and i broke a master link. which is located inside the cover. it only 6-7 months old,and was shocked that it had sheared.so run it slow for the first couple of passes.what im going to start doing is walk the area and pix ax all the big stones out, then harley rake. most likely you will run into debris,so you inform the client that any trash will be left on premise and that for a fee you could remove it.
BE CAREFULL, do not give them a price until all the debris has been piled,
because you dont know how much come out.If you do, then they will hold it to you.as for pricing, dont give them an hourly rate.to me that shows a lack of experience!! and unprofessional. dont forget to call diggers hotline
Weld some RR spikes to an I beam and make yourself a ground breaker or buy a pulverizer. 10-11 hrs to harley rake 1-1/2 acres is hard to believe, we do that in a couple hrs.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

first off, i have no reason to lie! second,I have a 5 footer harley rake. I dont know if your aware, but glenmac makes differt sizes..third, how can you tell me that it could be done in a couple of hours.finally, why would i go out and buy a pulverizer, when i have a harly rake?