Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would personally step back too the S250 machine.

For Grading and pushing I feel more confident in the conventional lifting arms for durability.

I personally would never own a wheeled machine for what you are doing.
The Bobcat tracked machines stink for durability.

Takeuchi has the best tracked machine with pilot controls.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

I have a bobcat 185 with steel tracks and i like them. yes we take them on and off depending on job, not a problem. We can remove them in 10 minutes and install in 15 or less. I have been in a few cases and did not like the cab you could not see very well.
Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone looked at Gehl? The 7810E just came out and looks very promising. 3850 lift, 99hp, 41 GPM, large cab.

http://www.gehl.com/const/Product_De...gdt_7810E.html

I am seriously looking at it, I think I will demo it first.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

AWJ,
Can you tell me your experiences with the Bobcat track loaders. What is not as durable or well made. I have no experience with any track machine. I have ran alot of hours in an S185 skid steer and no problems.
I would like to have as much info as I can before I spend any of my money.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Old 08-21-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The wheel motors have given them tons of trouble.
I have several people how have repetitive failures every 500 too 800 hours.
The repair is several grand per side.
The factory dealer here who sells in this area will not replace them under warranty till they completely die.
Normally they give intermittent trouble first of randomly they will stop pulling.

Most have traded out of them when financially possible or when the extended warranty expires.

Bobcat makes a good machine .They say they have the wheel motor problem fixed.

I prefer Pilot controls and do not care for the suspended track machine.

Only one choice out there right now.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. We tested a T300 on the dealer lot. I thought it was a ruff ride on hard ground and it would spin the tracks instead of digging into the dirt pill. The S300 would dig better in hard ground and for $20+K less.
I can't see how the difference in upfront cost and maintance can be out weighed by the ability of the track machine. Our S185 with steel tracks will go any where we need to hills, mud, etc.. I will say that mud and hills combined will stop the machine.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I just received a dvd today from ASV for the new SR-80. It focused on traction, suspension and stability of the machine. They had a Bobcat T250, Takeuchi TL140, Case 450??, JD 332 and NH?? machines, all about the same horsepower rating and all track machines. It showed various demonstrations of hill climbing, mud conditions, crossing an apex of a hill and riding over small logs/stone (suspension) and ground clearance demo. As pointed out in the dvd all the others with exception of Takeuchi are skid steer chasis', which they say makes the machines less stable due to design issues (location of machine Cg versus track layout.......CAT machines were not included in comparison for obvious reasons). It was rather surprising to me to see some of what the other machines couldn't do or do very well as compared with the ASV. None of the other machines could climb a soft steep bank (no load in bucket). The Bobcat got stuck in the mud and the ASV had to pull it out. Granted, it was all about pointing out the good of the ASV and not so good of the others. While I'm sure some of the others can lift more and do have their good points, it still seems that a machine that's not as stable and gives a rougher ride would be harder to spend a day working in and it may even negate some of the lifting capacity if it can't traverse over hills/slopes, mud or rough ground well with a load.
Now for the disclaimer....I own an RC-50 and I've never operated any other skid or track loader (this was my entry into construction equipment) so I'm not pretending to speak as an authority. Also, I know you have to take "advertising ads" with a grain of salt. I'm sure in the end equipment choice still comes down to what type of work will it be used for most and which machine does that work best for the money (plus dealer support & service). But, for the type of work you described (land clearing on sloped terrain) it would seem like alot of the attributes shown in this dvd would be important to you. Rather than stopping at demoing a T300 you may want to give the ASV a test ride, unless you have no dealer/support in your area. You may be able to request this dvd on the ASV website for your own take on it. Just my 2 cents. Now, let the barrage of rebuttals rain down on me!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not hard to make a DVD making the most of your strong points while avoiding your weak points. Running down the competition is a relatively easy thing to do on film. Deere has done the same thing. They did it when they released their first skid steers and they have done it with their tracked machines. Certainly ASV can do things others cannot. I am sure each of the OEMs listed could build a DVD showing how their machine excels at certain tasks while the competetion fails. The problem with ASV/CAT has been durability issues with the suspended track. What the DVD does not show is the cost of maintaining each of the different tracked machines in their DVD. If they had done that you would see that that the cost of the suspended track system far exceeds the nonsuspended units. If your getting more from your ASV to justify the added costs then perhaps its worth it. I would bet there are few guys out there that are utilizing their ASV in a way that no other tracked machine could follow.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still unsure as to why everyone is stuck on tracked units. From someone who has had both, I still prefer wheeled machines. Cheap to maintain, no worries that you're ruining a $4K track, no cleaning out at the end of the day. I think a lot of guys put it into their minds that a wheeled machine simply won't do. Unless you're working where you really need that extra traction 80% of the machine's operating time, don't buy one, you're throwing away $15K. We had plenty of jobs that we used our 277B where the 216 physically wouldn't go, due to traction, not because of size and/or horsepower. In the sandy soil we have here, pushing a pile really takes some bite and that's where our 277 really stood out. In the end, we still didn't need it. More often than not, a wheeled machine with tracks is just as effective. I'm actually opting for tracks on our next skid steer.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-22-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I follow the same thinking as Scag. Do I believe that tracks have a place? Yes I do. Does that mean that everybody that owns a skid steer should have tracks ? No I don't. When I came back from AZ this winter after running everyones tracked machines and the new prototype CASE machines, I was impressed with what these machines could do. However as I have worked through the year this year, I would have been hard pressed to properly use a tracked machine where it belonged to maximize productivity and track longevity. We had a wet Spring and so for about a month it would have been great. After that, the added track advantage would have been nonexistant. The wheeled machines may not be as sexy as the tracked machines but at the end of the day, what is sexy to me is high productivity and low upkeep costs, because that means I am making money and keeping more of it

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.