Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

KSSS, you're right on man. Productivity is sexy. From someone who used the hell out of our 277 when we had it (just sold it today, actually) there really was no better machine for what we were using it for. But, now that the job is over and we won't be taking on any more orchard removals, having a tracked machine just doesn't appeal to us. Sure we'd love to keep it, but that doesn't pay the bills. The machine really performed well pushing small apple trees into piles so our 312 could stack and burn them. With our sandy soil we needed all the traction we could get. Our whole intent on buying the 277 was for that task alone, then we realized we could use it on our landscape sites as well. But as it turns out, I can get along just fine without a dedicated track machine for our landscape jobs. About the only thing I'll miss about that machine was the horsepower and lift capacity, that's it. Needless to say, great machine, but not for our needs and I'm sad to see it go.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I have run a T190, my BIGGEST complaint with operating is cold weather, no matter how much I cleaned at the end of the day. I was frozen in the morning. I feel that is with all track machines.

However, wheeled skid steers are great until mud gets involved. I have been stuck in mud or spinning a lot in it with only wheels. All wheeled skid steers need tracks over tires unless it is only driven on a hard surface.

Tracks: Steel are durable and protect the tires etc. Rubber tracks seem cool but I have not had any experiance with them.

I would take a long look at the Loegering VTS system, I know it is a lot of money, but that track system brings the track out like 8 inches farther forward than Bobcat tracks, increasing your tipping and stability. I have dumped a bucket load into a dump truck on uneven ground and had the machine tip and ended up facing the ground while still in the machine. Pretty scary. Anyway that is my 2 cents.

Think of it this way, add $7.00 to your hourly rate for 1 year at 40 hours a week and you'll make up the 15K.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The VTS system looks really cool, but is really overpriced. I'm sure it works well, but for that kind of money you're better of buying a dedicated track machine, even though it gives you the ability to take the tracks off and put wheels back on, there wouldn't be any real point in doing so.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Like I posted in my last one, Cold weather will freeze up the tracks.

Has anyone found out how to keep the tracks from freezing in winter besides power washing them out at 15 degrees or a heated garage?

Winter I would put the tires back on.

The rubber tracks get aweful traction in snow.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm, in that case, if you had VTS you could use that in the summer, then swap to tires with steel OTTs in the winter for the ultimate setup. I think the steel OTTs are fairly decent in snow, then you could have the best traction in all conditions.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdusek
Like I posted in my last one, Cold weather will freeze up the tracks.

Has anyone found out how to keep the tracks from freezing in winter besides power washing them out at 15 degrees or a heated garage?
in the olden days (steel tracked crawlers) ... and now... I always park on clean wood planks at end of day (flip 'em over everyday) to ease the freezing issue
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had my cat 246b for 4 or 5 months now and 98 operating hours. Before i bought it, i was also looking at tracked machines, but just couldn't afford them. There has only been 1 job where i wish i had a tracked unit and that was working on a steep hill after a week of rain.

For what i do, i think the wheeled unit was the way to go. I operating in some tight areas where i have to make 180 degree turns to get where i need to go. I also am also running on and off pavement to move materials.

Sure tracked machines tear up the grass less. But on the job i am on i brought in 100 yards of fill, 50 yards of top soil, 45 yards of mulch, 55 tons of qp, etc, etc. No matter what machine you use, moving that much material will rut stuff up.

I am 100% pleased with my purchuse!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services
I would personally step back too the S250 machine.

For Grading and pushing I feel more confident in the conventional lifting arms for durability.

I personally would never own a wheeled machine for what you are doing.
The Bobcat tracked machines stink for durability.

Takeuchi has the best tracked machine with pilot controls.

The S250 has the vertical lift pattern identical to the S300

When you go to the T machines the lift pattern changes from T300 to T250

I own a S250, I am sure of this
Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay away from the VTS system. Like stated earlier, they're pricey and also complex. I know someone with a Case 95XT that burned up 3 hydraulic pumps in less than a year after running those. Evidently, they are heavy to spin and once you get them packed with mud it really works that drivetrain.

As far as track machines vs skid steers, it all depends on how you will be using them. If your running on dirt/sand/mud 90% of the time, track machines IMO are the way to go. It's not just for traction. They are less bouncy, they grade better, float better, and push better than skid steers. If you're on and off pavement, running on debris, or traction isn't a concern, then skid steers are the way to go. It really just comes down to what your using it for.

I prefer a vertical lift machine because I work in tight places sometimes, and they're also better for loading trucks. I don't know that a radius lift is any stonger than the vertical. I've pushed and dug with each and they both seem as strong as the other. Just my $0.2.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The S250 has the vertical lift pattern identical to the S300
I guess I am thinking of the S220.

Quote:
I prefer a vertical lift machine because I work in tight places sometimes, and they're also better for loading trucks. I don't know that a radius lift is any stonger than the vertical. I've pushed and dug with each and they both seem as strong as the other. Just my $0.2.
I meant more as a wear standpoint.
Less pivot points.