Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Truck...

Well, Im now looking into trucks for the Spring. What would you choose a Chevy 1 ton Dump around $28,000.00 a Ford F250 Pickup (Same) or a F150 Long Bed. All trucks are Regular cabs and not Diesel. What do you think?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you doing enough mulch work and clean-ups to justify a a newer dump truck? Personally, I don't like the way to new f150's look. If it were me and I was shopping for a 1/2 ton, I'd get a GMC 1500 4x4 with a 5.3 v8 in it. JMO
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a little personal experience here. A bought a F350 dump with a gas engine 2 1/2 years ago. At just under 30 grand, I had a hard time justifying another $6,000 for a diesel w/ auto transmission but gas was half what it costs know. Kinda wish I'd gone with diesel.

The regular cab on my truck has very little interior room which makes it difficult to stow personal gear (clothing, lunch boxes, thermos, water jugs, etc) and business gear (first aid kits, fire ext., and other stuff that can't be in the elements). Wish I would have went with a little larger cab.

The 6 yard dump box is nice for mulch jobs but you can buy a trailer that will haul an equivalant amount of bark for far less than what the hydraulic dump bed cost me. The dump bed I got also sucks up a lot of my GVW.

I could have gone with a F250 HD diesel w/ a hydraulic bed insert for about what I paid for what I got. I would have sacrificed a bit of versatility but in hindsight, it may have been a smarter move. I got a great truck and it fits our needs nicely but I learn from doing and I don't think I'd make the same purchase again.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your comparing apples to oranges. A 1ton dump has a lot of different uses compared to a 1/2ton truck. 1st I would figure out what you need the most and go from there, wether it would be a dump, a 3/4 or 1/2 ton truck.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you need a dump, do you have enough work for one at 16 years old, its allot of money it will cost you big money in gas the repairs will be much more costly. I wanted a dump too when i started then i came down to reality and figured all these expenses and i asked myself if i had enough work for one and i didn't so i settled with getting my grandpas Dakota, it handles just about anything i throw at it, of course it can pull a 7X14 dump trailer rated for 14000# but it gets most of the jobs done, and its allot less costly for someone our age, your still just started out at 16 you dont need to big the biggest guy in the neighborhood, also when you look into a dump your looking at commercial insurance.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey buy my truck its a 97 250 80,000 miles 5.8l gas. Its got a plow and everything. I am asking for 7500.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is everyone like afraid to rely on someone else to have their stuff delivered? What is the deal?! I ran an excavation business for 5 months without a dump truck to haul our 12 ton excavator or haul spoils away from sites and I made out just fine. In the last 5 months I must have had at least 1,500 yards of material either trucked in or out of a site and all of it was hired out. That's more than most landscape guys would handle in about 3 years. I don't know why everyone tries to go out and buy 1 ton dumps, they don't have enough capacity for anything.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48
Is everyone like afraid to rely on someone else to have their stuff delivered? What is the deal?! I ran an excavation business for 5 months without a dump truck to haul our 12 ton excavator or haul spoils away from sites and I made out just fine. In the last 5 months I must have had at least 1,500 yards of material either trucked in or out of a site and all of it was hired out. That's more than most landscape guys would handle in about 3 years. I don't know why everyone tries to go out and buy 1 ton dumps, they don't have enough capacity for anything.

^^^ My thoughts exactly. I brought in over 220 yards of different materials on the job i am on now. All deliveried. 1 ton dumps are useless.

Matt
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well what do you guys think about a new F250 with a Truckcraft Aluminum Dump insert. 8'?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I honestly think a 1 ton pickup with an aluminum insert has more capacity than a 1 ton dump. Seriously, 1 ton dumps are a joke.

You're 16 man, why buy a new truck? All that hard earned money down the pisser. You know what the insurance on that is going to be like? Even if you were making enough to cover the payments, your customers are going to think you're an @$$ when you roll up in a brand new truck at the age of 16. I thought we went overboard buying a bunch of equipment, at least we didn't waste money on buying new trucks that depreciate and don't produce a profit.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 08-25-2006 at 08:07 PM.