Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

walker mower headaches

I have a walker mower, MODEL MT 20HP MOTOR. I just recently had starter trouble with it, took the starter off rebuilt it, and put it back on well finally got the thing cranking again.. I bought this mower cheap and am trying to get it going again. Well I let is sit for a few months, when i went back to it, it would not run again, when you hook up the negative battery cable, the starter spins but does not turn the motor over, it is like it is shorting out somewhere, but i am unable to find it. It sparks at the cable and the starter spins but no motor spin. Does any one have any ideas on this? Would appreciate any help.
Thank you...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwatts
.... It sparks at the cable ....
Excuse me?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

sparks

sparks at the negative battery cable when you hook it up and the starter spins but does not engage......
Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwatts
sparks at the negative battery cable when you hook it up and the starter spins but does not engage......
Start with the spark.
You should not draw any current, viz get no spark by simply connecting your ground cable.
Start isolating circuits till you find out what is shorting. To do this, leave the ground cable off the battery, then pull fuses, disconnect wires, all one at a time, and what ever else it takes till you do not get any spark by act of simply connecting ground cable.
'Course I suppose I may be in error, but not likely. Tell me guys, would this machine have a circuit of _ANY_ kind that pulls juice with no switch in "on" position?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@MilkyWay
Start with the spark.
You should not draw any current, viz get no spark by simply connecting your ground cable.
Start isolating circuits till you find out what is shorting. To do this, leave the ground cable off the battery, then pull fuses, disconnect wires, all one at a time, and what ever else it takes till you do not get any spark by act of simply connecting ground cable.
'Course I suppose I may be in error, but not likely. Tell me guys, would this machine have a circuit of _ANY_ kind that pulls juice with no switch in "on" position?
NO circuit pulling juice with switch in off postition. Look for shorts.

Just had one last week come in with battery off of another piece of equipment and found customer had hooked up the postive terminal on the battery to the ground cable and postive cable to the neg. terminal.... He said his starter did not work. Duh.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Believe it or not I have actually seen people take a dead battery and recharge it back-wards.

If you take a gander at this; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040 and do as it says we can get a better idea of what you are working on.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@MilkyWay
Start with the spark.
If you do in fact get even the slightest sparkle or audible crackle when you touch cable to battery post, which is the way I interpreted your replies, then the battery is sustaining a leakage current, and will die in short order if you leave it connected. Remember, the batteries of the type used on lawn equipment do not have a lot of power reserve.
A car has things like radio memory, clocks, burglar alarms and who knows what else, that do in fact draw 600ma DC, give or take, when your car is sitting there waiting on you to crank and run it for a while. With a healthy, large energy reserve device it won't even feel it for a month or so, much less over night.
P=IR equates to: 0.6A X 12V = 7.2W
That ain't a whole lot of power consumption when you consider that 600A X 12V = 7.2KW to start a cold car engine; or did I miss a decimal in there somewhere.
Are you with me?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello, is there pwr at the siginal wire to solenoid when earth cable is connected to batt. Disconnect siginal wire and check 4 pwr when neg cable is connected. [correct polarity of batt and cables????????] Ignition switch could be faulty.If all electrics r ok bendix one way bearing may be faulty[same symtoms as u mentioned]
TOMO ps in a neighbouring workshop they did have a bad batch of batteries ,polarity was around wrong way .As they were ambulances batt company paid 4 all loom/ electrical repairs etc
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had major problems with Walker starters. If you find the battery is good. buy a new new start off ebay.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

"when you hook up the negative battery cable, the starter spins but does not turn the motor over,"

jr, if you make it back to the site, the above statment tells us that you have some wiring issues, and possibly some starter issues.

Please, do as rob has asked and we ill be able to help you better.

For anyone that ever searches and finds this thread: Kohler starters are prone to a similar failure rate as other manufacturers. The thing that kills these starters is not (always) their design. Improper cables, connections, and battery sizes and overcranking are the leading causes of "failure," or put more carefully, destruction.