Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Should mowpart.com take "Spanish Phrases for the Landscape Industry" book off site?
Yes, Take the book off the site 14 33.33%
I don't care either way 6 14.29%
No I believe if used properly it should be made available 22 52.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashunde
Its a HORRIBLE idea!!!

It has US learning THEIR language - the exact opposite of the way it should be.

Try this...
Make a Spanish-to-English book that we can give to the employees, cheaply of course.

I'm not saying it's a good idea... EVERY AMERICAN should be able to speak english. I wouldn't hire somebody that I couldn't speak english (or atleast be bilingual) with, but if they got cash, i'll work for'em!!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is funny that in a melting pot, with no LEGAL official language (before anyone says anything, LOOK IT UP, it's law, our fed. gov. cannot declare an official language. Hmmmm....wonder why? Oh yeah, keep reading) consisting of citizens/immigrants from most countries around the world, where EVERYONE'S ancestors except native americans are originally from somewhere else, that anyone can say what language anyone else should or shouldn't speak. Maybe if our forefathers would have had the same attitude this country would have an official language, and you folks that say everyone has to speak english might have a valid argument. BTW, I wouldn't hire anyone who was not fluent in english. I'm not a bigot, but would be neccessary for my employees to communicate with my customers.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
So by selling this book, you're endorsing the employment of illegals.

Remind me to NOT visit your site, or buy anything from you, ever.
i agree, . by teaching them the key words in english then they can b.s their way thru an estimate to get the job .you sir,(mowpart rep) are helping to lower the industry standard, lower the rate of pay to us america born americans ,and turn our livelyhood into a fight of survival .ithe market is already saturated and to help non-americans dip into our pockets is surely a money in your pocket only ,idea of yours .thank you for posting this information , now i will not have to choose between j-thomas and your site. and by the way, the reason most of them are legal is because they sneak over here and have a kid then they are legal to stay because the kid is " condidered " an american.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the name of the book was "Spanish Phrases for the Landscaping Industry" not "English Phrases for Illegal Immigrants" I think this book is supposed to help employers communicate with H2B workers.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Sponsor

This book IS Spanish to English!!!

This book is one of the best tutorial for SPANISH TO ENGLISH
"We are here to help"
Old 08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Sponsor

This book IS Spanish to English!!!

This book is one of the best tutorials for SPANISH TO ENGLISH on the market. Give it to your LEGAL non English speaking employees and see what happens. It is expensive however it is well worth it. As for all the controversy I am amazed! What an eye opener! Since we at mowpart.com want to better serve please continue to speak up. It is greatly appreciated. If enough of you want us to take the book off our site we will do it. Remember we want you to feel like it is your site and we will cater to you!!!
"We are here to help"
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to put my couple of cents in...........

No offense Mowerpart rep, really.

I am thoroughly fed up with the coddling of people who come here and can't speak the language. The gov't spends millions upon millions to re write text to Spanish. WHY?
Mac machines, grocery stores, unemployment offices,welfare offices,banks, etc. etc.

WHAT THE HELL are we doing as a nation?

It just plain disgusts me. My grandfather came here in 1923 from a former soviet state, he had NO coddling, why is it necessary now?

O.K., done now.........back to the thread.

Again mower rep, no offense intended because I think the book actually serves a purpose 'cause it ain't going away.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, my turn to sound off.
First off I am dead set against our government wasting our tax dollars printing everything in multiple languages, and am further against them trying to tell businesses that they must.

However, I do not think that a business that chooses to cater to non English speaking customers or employees is selling out America. If an individual comes here from a foreign country to work and make a life for themselves and follows our immigration laws, it is in their best interest to learn the language. If they choose not to, it is our opportunity to get cheap labor (exploit their bad choice if you will). Now, how is it that someone selling a book that helps me to take advantage of another person's bad choices (notice I did not say "unfortunate circumstances") can be villified on this site. No where in his message did he say anything about illegal immigrants. The majority of immigrants to this nation have historically been non-English speaking and have either had to learn the language in order to increase their value to society, or accept that they will make below average wages.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vern
Ok, my turn to sound off.
First off I am dead set against our government wasting our tax dollars printing everything in multiple languages, and am further against them trying to tell businesses that they must.

However, I do not think that a business that chooses to cater to non English speaking customers or employees is selling out America. If an individual comes here from a foreign country to work and make a life for themselves and follows our immigration laws, it is in their best interest to learn the language. If they choose not to, it is our opportunity to get cheap labor (exploit their bad choice if you will). Now, how is it that someone selling a book that helps me to take advantage of another person's bad choices (notice I did not say "unfortunate circumstances") can be villified on this site. No where in his message did he say anything about illegal immigrants. The majority of immigrants to this nation have historically been non-English speaking and have either had to learn the language in order to increase their value to society, or accept that they will make below average wages.

Well said.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kelly ...welcome to the lawn site! Things in our area are a little different than some areas, here you NEED to speak Spanish. You can get a lot of free stuff and help. We needed ice for our water jug yesterday, our guys got with the resturants guys and they came out with ice water and some treats to eat. A couple days ago my son had to help me with my order at McDonalds. I wanted a single burger on the side, it wasn't on the menu. They made up one and gave it to me, free. I wish I had the book.