Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Should mowpart.com take "Spanish Phrases for the Landscape Industry" book off site?
Yes, Take the book off the site 14 33.33%
I don't care either way 6 14.29%
No I believe if used properly it should be made available 22 52.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Our overall US economy and political stability is very dependant on what happens in the world. If we only were able to produce gasoline from oil we procure within our borders, imagine the cost !!! The key to cultural, political and economic understanding is language.

In the small world of cutting 75 lawns a week, it is easy to choose not to do business with or hire legal aliens that struggle with English. On a national scale we have to deal with it. Having said that, I think that we really do need to make English the official language of government. Translating adds too much ambiguity. We have enought contract problems and legal issues that arise from differring opinions in English. If we allow Spanish, for example to be a legal language in the courts, the results will be disastrous.

My experiance has been that by the second generation, other languages disappear and English dominates. If we stop illegal immigration the problem should correct itself.

I think the issue is illegal immigration not Spanish.

I would get the book if I needed it.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpart rep
The thread title is confusing. It is the name of the book. That is why I made it the thread title. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I will try to be more clear. This book works equally for learning English or Spanish. So far the poll is 4 against the book , 2 don't care, and 7 say it's ok to sell it if it is used properly. I like this type of debate I believe it is healthy to express different opinions. Friendly debate is one of the best ways to learn and reach new understandings.
Thanks
russell

And this is a great way to look at it rather than thinking you are getting bashed.
Good for you.